• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather's Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? NY

I am from PA though this matter is a New York state matter. And little bit of a long story.

- It started when tv news talks about discovering unrecovered funds. I discovered an insurance policy left over by my grandfather (my father's father) who died around 1973. He was murdered by 2nd or 3rd wife who was convicted and only recieved 1-3 yr sentence. We found out thru research she died in 1999.
- I had my brother continue the research on what I found as a life insurance policy no one knew about even living relatives in NY (we asked them about it and they did not argue about claiming it). He printed out the unrecovered funds claim form but besides my father signing as only child they also wanted death certificate of his father.
- After that process of obtaining the death certificate, which included newspaper article his murder by wife and brief family history surrounding it, they recieved statement in mail. They needed death certificate of my father's step mother, whom caused his death. They only way probable we believe to obtain this is thru her family. We are doubtful on this.

A newspaper article of the murder, conviction and her obtiuary should have been enough, we believe. My brother believes its probably impossible to research my father's step mother's family and not favorable since they might try to claim the insurance but THERE WAS NO BENEFICIARY.

Also can my father get her (step mother who killed his father) death certificate as step son?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Relax: the death certificate you want can easily be acquired from the New York State Department of Health in Albany, NY through their website: http://www.health.state.ny.us.

Fee for priority handling/rush processing is $45 ($30 for the death certificate and $15 for handling fee). If you want rush processing it's best to make your fee payment by using credit card and submitting your request by e-mail, fax, or telephone.

Documents are granted primarily to closely related relatives, with the additional reason being that they will release the document if you have a lawful right or claim, which you DO have--death record needed by the applicant to claim a death benefit. Find the death certificate application on the website where it will also tell you to provide a utility bill or telephone bill showing your name and address and a letter from a government agency dated within the last six months. (I assume you will want to provide a copy of the letter from the unclaimed property department that asked you to provide the death certificate, IF in fact they sent you a letter instead of discussing this with you on the phone. If they did not send you a letter about this, you need to request one from them).

See--it's easier than you thought!! The death certificate is required to actually confirm that the death occurred.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">