• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokey17

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

My grandma has been taken advantage of by my aunt and uncle before and it is happening again. They are moving in with her soon and have already convinced her to change her will. I found at grandma's house yesterday a piece of paper in my aunt's writing telling grandma to change her will to something called right of survivorship to joint property. I asked my grandma about this and she said that my aunt told her she has to do it to avoid probate. I am wondering if what it really means is that they would be entitled to her things before anyone else because they live in the house now. Her will says now that everything is to be sold off and the money split between my mom and aunt. What will the right of survivorship really do to the will? Please help me. These are bad people and I need to know how to stop them from hurting her. I really think that once the will is changed, they will kill her. Thanks.

HomeGuru

pokey17 said:

My grandma has been taken advantage of by my aunt and uncle before and it is happening again. They are moving in with her soon and have already convinced her to change her will. I found at grandma's house yesterday a piece of paper in my aunt's writing telling grandma to change her will to something called right of survivorship to joint property. I asked my grandma about this and she said that my aunt told her she has to do it to avoid probate. I am wondering if what it really means is that they would be entitled to her things before anyone else because they live in the house now. Her will says now that everything is to be sold off and the money split between my mom and aunt. What will the right of survivorship really do to the will? Please help me. These are bad people and I need to know how to stop them from hurting her. I really think that once the will is changed, they will kill her. Thanks.

**A: call the state elderly rights office.

BelizeBreeze

pokey17 said:

My grandma has been taken advantage of by my aunt and uncle before and it is happening again. They are moving in with her soon and have already convinced her to change her will. I found at grandma's house yesterday a piece of paper in my aunt's writing telling grandma to change her will to something called right of survivorship to joint property. I asked my grandma about this and she said that my aunt told her she has to do it to avoid probate.
Doing so will indeed avoid probate. HOWEVER, it will go all to the aunt and uncle. So, if this is not what granny intends, have her speak with an attorney.
I am wondering if what it really means is that they would be entitled to her things before anyone else because they live in the house now.
Things, no, the home yes.
Her will says now that everything is to be sold off and the money split between my mom and aunt. What will the right of survivorship really do to the will?
see above.
Please help me. These are bad people and I need to know how to stop them from hurting her. I really think that once the will is changed, they will kill her. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Take granny to a probate attorney.

STOP HER!!! RIGHT OF SURVIVORSHIP - In a joint-tenancy, the property automatically goes to the co-owners if one of the co-owners dies. A co-owner in a joint tenancy cannot give away his or her share of the property.

So in other words you mom wouldn't get anything from the property. It would avoid probate but everything would go to the aunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">