• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother ill, will not see a doctor.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swebb29

What is the name of your state? GA
I am not sure if this is the right forum or not but my grandmother has been ill for a while. She is basically choking everytime she eats something. Something is going on in her esophagus. She is terrified of doctors. We took her to a doctor to get some tests done to find out what is going on and she would not stay and go through with them. She wants to be better but she will not let a doctor check her out thouroughly. Is there anyway she can be made to have these tests done? I know there probably isn't but everyone is so worried about her and she has lost so much weight from not being able to eat right. It is just hard to sit by and see her suffering.

BelizeBreeze

You can file a motion to appoint a guardian but if she's this afraid of doctors, it won't matter. no ethical doctor will FORCE treatment on her or force her to subject herself to tests such as these.

rmet4nzkx

Does your grandmother smoke?
Would she be willing to have an Xray?
Some tests can be very invasive, but she might agree to something like an Xray to start which can identify basic problems which may then be treated with medication or changes in diet, if she requires additional invasive testing after she gains the trust, she might be sedated for the test.
Depending on her age and prognosis, it may not be worth the additional stress of the test and or treatment.

swebb29

No, she does not smoke. Being sedated is one thing she is terrified of. She is afraid she will never wake up. I will see if I can get her to consider an xray.

BelizeBreeze

swebb29 said:
She is 85 by the way.
85? Then leave her the hell alone. Speak to her about a living will and getting her affairs inorder in the event she dies. By the time she gets over this phobea you'll be dead and she'll still be afraid and sick.

CHRIST, hasn't she earned some peace?

rmet4nzkx

swebb29 said:
No, she does not smoke. Being sedated is one thing she is terrified of. She is afraid she will never wake up. I will see if I can get her to consider an xray.
OK I understand that that fear but see if she will agree to an Xray. But the fact that she didn't/doesn't smoke increases the possibility of something managable as opposed to cancer although it doesn't rule it out. It is possible that she has a hernia, reflux disorder or neurologic based problem and she might be treated and made more comfortable and get some nutrition. Keep us updated.

msroncon

This happened to my father and they said he was aspirating into his lungs, that the food he was eating was going into his lungs. They put a feeding tube in. It scared him and then I had the test done again and he was fine. It took 4 months to get an appointment to get the tube out.

Speech therapist can show your grandmother how to chew slowly or put her head back to not choke.

I hope everything works out, think twice if they want to put a feeding tube in her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">