• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother wants to put my name on the deed of her house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimmyStrokes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My grandmother owns her home and is currently having the mortgage being paid by her son. She wants to put the deed of her home to my name and have the mortgage transfered to my cousin and I so that our uncle can keep paying the mortgage. My question is, my fiance and I are looking to purchase a home of our own within the next 2 years and want to know what are the pros and cons of helping my grandmother. I do have 2 accounts in collections and am making payments on a debt less than $1,000 to the IRS. I do not want this issue to affect my credit or to affect me buying my own home in the future.

I will take any advice available. Thank you.

LdiJ

My grandmother owns her home and is currently having the mortgage being paid by her son. She wants to put the deed of her home to my name and have the mortgage transfered to my cousin and I so that our uncle can keep paying the mortgage. My question is, my fiance and I are looking to purchase a home of our own within the next 2 years and want to know what are the pros and cons of helping my grandmother. I do have 2 accounts in collections and am making payments on a debt less than $1,000 to the IRS. I do not want this issue to affect my credit or to affect me buying my own home in the future.

None of that makes any sense. Your Uncle can keep paying her mortgage if he wants to do so. The mortgage doesn't need to be transferred to someone else in order for your uncle to keep paying it.

I suspect that you need to walk away from whatever is going on.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

A) Why do you think the house can be transferred to you and the mortgage transferred to you and your cousin? Will you qualify for a mortgage? If you have a home in your name, you will have issues buying a second home unless you are wealthy.
B) What is your grandmother's end game? Is she trying to avoid the house being lost to Medicaid or something?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">