• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmothers estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Texas. My father is the executor of my grandmothers estate while she's in a nursing home with altzhimers. He has to report all his spending of her money to the state once a year but my father lives in Virginia and is drinking heavely. I live very close to where my grandmas nursing home is and I believe I'm in a better state of mind than my father is these days. I'm afraid he'll miss manage her money. Can I take over as executor and how would I do this?


Senior Member
Your father is the Conservator, as being an executor would imply she is dead.

If you have a problem with your Dad handling the money, why not get him to agree to have YOU take it over, subject to court approval. Then get the court to approve. You'd both file a petition with the court for you to be named substitute conservator, and most times the court would approve.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential