• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent -- Anything we can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hobbit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

My family took care of my grandmother for about 5 years in an apartment we built her on our property. At 84 she got hospitalized for the first time in her life. The 4 siblings of my mother immediately wanted to put her in a nursing home. My mom told them how she had promised my grandmother long ago she wouldn't do that and this is why she gave my mother power of attorney.

However, when my mom got power of attorney she decided having 2 POA's out of 5 children was the best idea. Turns out 6 months before my grandmother got sick, the four children took her off and video recorded grandma taking POA away from my mother with regards to money. My mother knowing she cannot take care of someone without control of her money, then gave up whatever POA she had left (leaving the other POA who saw my grandma at most once a month with full control).

Long story short she is now in an assisted living center. She is diabetic and they feed the same meal to everyone. Her daily blood sugar level is in the 300s. She had a stroke and no one noticed until my mom went and visited. No one noticed because the other four children who visit never saw her enough to notice a change. They only take her vitals once a month and don't get her physical therapy, despite the fact she can still walk with a walker for limited distance.

When my mom brought grandmother to the doctor to confirm her suspicions of the stroke no one noticed, the other siblings threw a fit. The doctor told my mom how she is not in a suitable place and that she should be getting physical therapy which would help control her sugar levels.

In essence they are killing my grandmother. She is having strokes because of her 'uncontrollable' sugar levels (despite the fact we controlled them at our house) and her muscles are just atrophying to the point where she can't travel anymore (the one thing she loves).

She has very limited long term memory (she doesn't even know she changed the POA. She still thinks its my mom). Is there anything we can do, or are we forced to watch them basically kill my grandmother who had perfect health up until this point and was almost fully functional physically.

Any help is appreciated.

Rushia

Hobbit, I'm sorry this is happening to your grandmother and that I have no advice for you other than this.

This particular forum mostly deals with grandparents trying to get visitation with their grandchildren, or parents who have been dealing with such a suit. You would get better help if you moved this to the Wills and Trust section under the subforum of POA's and elder care.

Good Luck to you and your family....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Report the nursing home to the state for elder abuse. Get an investigation going to shut them down.

CourtClerk

Also, have your mom go to court and obtain CONSERVATORSHIP over grandma. Trumps power of attorney. Then she can bring her home, and take over... again.

No one else seems to have grandma's best interests at heart.

Sorry you all are going through this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">