• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
But perhaps you could clarify this business of the court "awarding to both sets of grandparents joint custody of the child of the deceased daughter whose father is unknown."

It would appear that if the father of this child is not known, then the only known grandparents would be the deceased daughter's parents. Which would be you - the biological father - and her birth mother (if living) - making one set.
OP did so...
I was not married to my daughters mother. We both then married seperate people. I am the grandparent, my wife the step grandparent and her mother is the grandparent and her husband the step grandparent.

Litigator22

OP did so... /QUOTE]

Fine! Then the child has two "grandparents". NOT two sets of "grandparents" as you earlier expressed! If you wish to label step grandparents as grandparents or group apples with oranges, I suppose that is your prerogative.

Turning back to the core question . . .

Not only are you immune from being ordered to furnish support for your daughter's child in the sole capacity of grandfather - neither the child's grandmother nor her grandmother's husband (the other set, if you wish) would have legal standing to pursue such an action even if your capacity was that of a parent by adoption. Guardian ad litem proceedings would be required.

The other "set of grandparents" would be well advised to be made aware of 22NYCRR 130-1.1 (New York's Rule 11) in the matter of the assessment of costs and sanctions (including attorney fees) to be imposed in retribution for instituting frivolous and untenable litigation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">