• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents custody rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? California

I am trying to find information on how/ or if grandparents can obtain custody of their grandchild.

My nephew is a victim of emotional and mental abuse. He is forced to stay in his room day in and day out by his stepfather and now his mother is participating. A year ago, while his mother left, we were forced to pick up my nephew and his brother because his stepfather forced him to consume alcohol and made insinuations that a gun would be used. This has only escalated with the mothers blatten denial that there is anything going on. Since the mother found out that he has been confiding in his grandmother, she has forbidden him to contact her, and cannot see her without the mother being present. She has broken all ties with the family and now won't let him visit anyone.

The boy is making verbal conversations in regards to how he can hurt his stepfather.

He is not allowed to have friends, he is not allowed out of his room, he is not allowed outside, and now can have only supervised visits with family. He has no interest in school, his appearance, and is very immature for his age. He is having lots of difficulties in school and the mother is doing nothing to change the situation. She said she would get them counseling after the incident a year ago, and now says there is nothing wrong and refuses to help the children. Both have anti social tendencies. We fear with his increased desire to inflict injury to his step father, he may do something that will effect the rest of his life, such as incarciration. His biological father wants very little to do with him and would be willing to aid in the transition to grandma's.

He is 14 and wants to live with his grandparents. Do they have any rights or any chance of freeing this child from his environment before something very serious occurs?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential