• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents keeping son against my will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Babe_Tammy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have sole custody of my 16 year old son, and the father has supervised visitation rights. The supervision is done by my ex mother-in-law. My son went for his normal every other weekend visitation and called me up after a couple days (Labor Day) and said he was not comming home. I asked my mother-in-law to bring him home, and she refused. I took the cops with me to pick him up, but since my son refused to come with me, giving lame excuses why he did not wish to come with me, the cop said I would have to take them to court.

I do not have the resources to do this. The grandmother and my ex did NOT have the right to keep him, then falsafied docs (Sept 12th) to enroll him into a school by them since she is too lazy to bring him to his school. I notified both schools. I am showing them my divorce decree tomorrow. This will get him kicked out of the new school and back in the old school. I do not know what my rights are as his parent (the one who has been there since day one.)

He has no rules at grandma's house and she and my ex go out of their way to undermine all I have ever done with my son. I know what is best for my own son. He is a good kid and makes good grades. He will go down hill fast at his grandmothers. She did not do right by her own kids and will fail with my son. I wish him to come home and stay with me till at least age 18. He and I had a plan for his college and everything. He has shocked me by doing this..and the way he went about doing it was just wrong, but I hold the grandmother responsible because she is harboring him instead of telling him to take his butt home.

I have rules and am consistant. I make sure he does homework, eats healthy, has good hygiene, is safe, and I know where he is. No one could love him more or have his best interest at heart, than me. I fear what will happen if he stays there for the next two years. These people have done enough damage just on their every other weekend visits.

I will be getting on to his school for allowing the withdrawl after they had told the grandparnts that only I could withdrawl him. The principal said he did it today (Sept 14th) because the new school had faxed them official signed docs saying the grandmother was granted power of attorney by my ex husband, who HAS NO RIGHTS to do that.

I am the only one he has ever lived with and the only one who has ever registered him for school!! I need someone on MY side...I am a good parent who actually cares where my child is and what he is doing and ensuring he achieves his potiential.

The grandmother does not like me nor the fact her own son never amounted to anything and I got full custody of my son. She has been a thorn in my side my son's whole life. The father is a Paranoid Skitzsofrenic (spell check) and is hard enough to deal with. I know what is best...and have full custody, so what can I do now? My son had permission to stay at his school here with me till Dec. I had hoped by then he would come to his senses and come home, or realize the grass is NOT greener on the other side.

Help please? Especially if you know child custody law in Texas.

Thank you!!

dallas702

Did you take your Court Orders with you when you had the police make their attempt to get him back? The police are bound by law to enforce court orders. Family Court Orders are no different than any others. If they are too lazy you can file pro se with some legal aid assistance. The grandma is obviously in contempt.

BTW: your ex will still have to continue paying CS to you (if he ever was), and a Power of Attorney doesn't mean squat when it comes to custody. The Court Order is the only document in force. Go to the school and threaten to sue them. Scream bloody murder until they do the right thing.

Last edited:
In my experience officers are NOT required to enforce Custody orders it is a "civil" issue and they not only have every right to say that but 99% of the time practice that theory. Unless there was a restraining order against one of the people in the home that the child was staying in.

To the OP file Contempt NOW like yesterday, do it pro se if you have to AND ask for any fees associated with enforcing the original Order.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Babe_Tammy said:
My son had permission to stay at his school here with me till Dec. I had hoped by then he would come to his senses and come home, or realize the grass is NOT greener on the other side.
I thought I understood the situation until I got to the above, and now I'm confused. What do you mean he had permission to stay at his school with you? Permission from whom?

Zephyr

stealth2 said:
I thought I understood the situation until I got to the above, and now I'm confused. What do you mean he had permission to stay at his school with you? Permission from whom?

I think mom told him he could stay at gma's until december but remain in his original school. could be wrong, but that's my take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">