• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents legal custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Tennessee
My friend's daughter had a baby boy by a man from Iraq...they never married; the daughter and baby continued to live with her mom until she married about 6 years ago but the grandson stayed with the grandparents who have totally cared for him. He is now 9 and for the past 4 years the father has not been engaged in his life or paid child support in that he has married and has 2 other children. All parties are still living in Tennessee. The mother of the boy is ready to sign documents giving grandparents legal custody of the child. Questions: 1. what is process for acquiring papers
2. what legal documents to seek?
3. will father have to sign as well although he has had no part of boy's life?
In short, need advice for my friend - who has no access to internet.


Senior Member
1. They need to speak with a local attorney.
2. See above.
3. YES, the father has the right to contest the change, and he is first in line for custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential