• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights for custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srtchica

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I have a question about my mom in AZ. My sister is a drug addict and is married but she basically has abandoned her 2 children due to substance abuse. CPS has been involved because one of my nephews has been abused. My mom wants custody of one of my nephews as he is NOT blood related to the other childs father. And he would be devastated if he could not see his grandma. My mom usually has him most of the time. Does her ex-boyfirend or his parents have ANY rights to this child as he is NOT his child? And what are the rights as far as the stepfather goes because my sister's ex-boyfriend and his parents want to fight for full custody of both children but so does the stepfather. Does my mom have any rights OVER these other people as far as getting custody?

BelizeBreeze

The biological father has rights to HIS son. PERIOD. If he is found to be unfit then BOTH sets of grandparents have equal rights to file for custody.

T

titansfan

complicated custody case

only the bio relatives can go for custody. so that means the ex can go for custody of HIS child, but not the other child, and that goes for his parents too, as far as that child is concerned, he, his parents and the stepdad have no legal standing to seek custody of that child, they are legal strangers with no rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">