• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights in OH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Until recently I granted visitation to my daughter's grandfather without being court ordered. This was stopped due to his lack of respect for my wishes concerning my daughter’s welfare. His son who is my daughter's father has court appointed visitation rights but refuses to exercise them because he is an alcoholic and loves to live a footloose type of life, also we were never married. When I allowed visitations the only things that I requested were that 1) Her father is not present especially if he had been drinking. 2) My daughter was not to be exposed to any type of violent behavior. 3) My daughter was not to leave with her father for any given reason due to the fact that he drinks regularly, drives intoxicated, has violent behavior and has no license to speak of. It was understood that if the grandfather went against my wishes that I would no longer allow visitation. Well, on numerous occasions this had been happening without my knowledge. I had found out quite by accident...I returned to the grandfather's residence too early one day and saw that my daughter was indeed exposed to the lifestyle that I find utterly and completely unbecoming and intolerable. Therefore I stopped visitation at his home but never refused to let him come to our home to visit with his granddaughter. Now he is suing me for grandparent's rights. How can I keep him from getting her at all because of his lack of interest in her safety and welfare? What can I possibly present to the court to show that he has no interest in keeping her safe because he repeatedly abused my trust in protecting my daughter's emotional well being?

Can anyone advise me as to what to prepare to take and say to the court to prevent this travesty from happening? ANY advice and ideas on how to prepare a motion would be helpful....also I have to file a motion this week in response to his motion for grandparent's rights.

Thank you for your time and patience :)
Last edited:


Junior Member
Please help....running out of time

Is there anyone out there that can advise as to what to put in my motion to deny grandparent visitation? I am running out of time....thanks :)


According to this site, http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/membersonly/123grandparents.pdf , Ohio does allow for grandparental visitation in certain cases. According to that site, among other things, the court has to find it to be in the child's best interest to have visitation. I don't know what you should put in your reply other than what you have stated here, but be specific.

Try to keep this post near the top so that someone might be able to help you. I would suggest though that you get the help of an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential