• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights in PA? - no divorce involved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAsoccermom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My husband and I are happily married and have 4 children together ages 14,13,10 and 8. After a falling out with my mother and stepfather in August, which unfortunately my 3 youngest witnessed, we have decided that it is in my childrens best interest not to see or have any contact with them. After many emails (all saved) between us my mother is now threatening that she has got herself a lawyer and is going to sue for grandparents rights and says she will win because she has the funds to do so and because I don't have the funds to fight her. I didn't know if these rights existed when there is no divorce, separation, death or incarceration involved.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My husband and I are happily married and have 4 children together ages 14,13,10 and 8. After a falling out with my mother and stepfather in August, which unfortunately my 3 youngest witnessed, we have decided that it is in my childrens best interest not to see or have any contact with them. After many emails (all saved) between us my mother is now threatening that she has got herself a lawyer and is going to sue for grandparents rights and says she will win because she has the funds to do so and because I don't have the funds to fight her. I didn't know if these rights existed when there is no divorce, separation, death or incarceration involved.

newsflash to granny, money isn't the answer to EVERYTHING. i have poulled up links for PA before...i'll be right back with those.

LdiJ

newsflash to granny, money isn't the answer to EVERYTHING. i have poulled up links for PA before...i'll be right back with those.
I will let Isabella find the links for you. Unfortunately PA is one of two states in the US that are very grandparent friendly, however, the fact that you are an intact family and that you and your husband are united in this, puts you in a very strong position.

If she really has hired an attorney, the attorney will put a lot of pressure on you to "settle" the case. DO NOT DO THAT. If you are ordered to mediation refuse to settle there either.
Make the judge make the decision based on the law and the merits of the case.

Grandma is actually being very stupid here. Not only is she going to serious damage any hope of reconciliation with you, but your kids are also old enough that they are likely to seriously side with you as well, which means that she will only destroy any hope of a future relationship with them as well.

Isis1

i found this link

. The Superior Court held that pursuant to the Grandparent Visitation Act, the minor grandchild's parents must be currently separated for at least 6 months, the grandchild's parents must be divorced, the children's parents must have never married and don't live together, a parent must be deceased, or the grandchild must have lived with the grandparent for at least 12 months for a grandparent to have standing to file the complaint.

Pittsburgh Grandparents Rights Lawyer - PA Grandparent's Partial Custody Attorney - Law Firm Lisa Marie Vari &Associates, P.C. Attorneys Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

for starters...

caseymadaline

Funny if she think she could get anything she wants with money. How come she has not learned anything after living for so long. Don't be afraid to face her.

Rushia

Funny if she think she could get anything she wants with money. How come she has not learned anything after living for so long. Don't be afraid to face her.
Actually, that is how a lot of gps win their cases. Many parents do not have the same financial means as our parents.

PAsoccermom

I am not afraid of her by any means. I just want to make sure my kids get to avoid the drama. My mother has control issues and this is the first time I have ever really stood up to her. She just isn't taking it very well. I even gave her the chance to spend 2 hours at a time at her house with my younger 2 (ages 8 & 10) with the stipulation that my stepsister and my niece were not to have any contact with my kids. They are a huge part of this whole mess. She told me that my ss & n had as much right to be at her house as my kids did therefore she would not tell them to stay away for that 2 hr. time slot. So in my opinion she chose not to see my kids. She now says she is disinheriting me and taking me out of her will. Not that I care trust me peace of mind is much more important to me than money in the future BUT if she "disinherits" me then doesn't she also "disinherit" my kids?

Isis1

I am not afraid of her by any means. I just want to make sure my kids get to avoid the drama. My mother has control issues and this is the first time I have ever really stood up to her. She just isn't taking it very well. I even gave her the chance to spend 2 hours at a time at her house with my younger 2 (ages 8 & 10) with the stipulation that my stepsister and my niece were not to have any contact with my kids. They are a huge part of this whole mess. She told me that my ss & n had as much right to be at her house as my kids did therefore she would not tell them to stay away for that 2 hr. time slot. So in my opinion she chose not to see my kids. She now says she is disinheriting me and taking me out of her will. Not that I care trust me peace of mind is much more important to me than money in the future BUT if she "disinherits" me then doesn't she also "disinherit" my kids?
not if her will says otherwise. i've seen a few incidents where the children were not mentioned but the grandchildren were. however the fact that you as mom and dad are against it, grandma would have a hard time proving best interest of child.

for the life of me, i had a perfect link for this situation and i cannot seem to relocate it...

PAsoccermom

Update

I have heard through the grapevine that my mother has backed down on her threat of trying to get visitation rights. Seems she was advised by her lawyer that she really doesn't have a leg to stand on. Thanks for all your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">