• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparentvisitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? michigan

i have a problem and was wondering if someone can help me out.
my daughter was killed in an auto accident i was awarded temp custody of my grandson till my son in law was better physicaly and mentally.i had custody of my grandson for 3 years till he was able to care for the child. things were going good with my son in law till recently. he just took me to court to have my visitation rights suspended.i had talked to a lawyer and he told me that there was no such thing as grandparents rights in mich any longer. i dont want full or partial custody of the child in question i just want to be able to have visitation. is there any thing that i can do to rectify this ruling. my son in law told me that i will never be able to see my grandson again i am not a bad person i think that the problems that we are having between us is due to his new wife and his parents. if anyone can help me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.


Michigan has an organization you should contact - "Grandparents Rights Organization". They have lobbied for a bill in the Michigan Senate to protect visitation rights for grandparents.

This is from a story in the Detroit Free Press "Michigan, like most states, says that if there is a parental death or marriage breakup, grandparents can request visitation from a family court."

Try this - www.grandparentsrights.org

I hope the courts take into consideration how long you had the boy. Best wishes, you are in our prayers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential