• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Granted a PPO can I go to Court to advocate for him to go to jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nicki123086

If I was in a domestic violence situation and after he was arrested I was granted a protection order, am I allowed to go to his court date to advocate for him to be given max sentence?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I was in a domestic violence situation and after he was arrested I was granted a protection order, am I allowed to go to his court date to advocate for him to be given max sentence?
What US State?
You will not be able to just show up at the court and expect to be heard. You should discuss your request with the prosecutor.

adjusterjack

If you are in any US state you are likely going to be required by the prosecutor to testify anyway. Contact the prosecutor to find out more about that.

You probably won't have any say in his sentence. That will be determined by the relevant statutes.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You probably won't have any say in his sentence. That will be determined by the relevant statutes.
I disagree. Most crimes do not have a definite sentence. Rather, they provide a range of punishment the court may impose. In a number of states victims have the right to testify or provide a statement to the judge to describe the impact of the crime on the victim and express a view as what punishment should be imposed. But that has to be coordinated with the prosecutor in the case.

zddoodah

am I allowed to go to his court date to advocate for him to be given max sentence?
Let's start with a couple basics. First, in any given criminal case, there may be several court dates. You showing up for this purpose at any point prior to the sentencing would be pointless. Depending on the court rules in your unidentified state and locality and the crime charged, sentencing may happen immediately after the reading of the verdict, or it may happen at a separate hearing. It's also possible that he'll negotiate a plea bargain. Again, depending on the laws of your unidentified state, the prosecutor may or may not be obligated to give you notice regarding a plea bargain.

Second, a PPO will constrain him. It won't constrain you (unless it's a mutual PPO). Thus, you're free to attend any public court hearing just like any other person.

As others have noted, however, simply showing up and expecting to stand up and yell, "give him the max!" would be foolish. You should coordinate with the prosecutor in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">