• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Card expired, but I'm out of the US!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? FL

I’m writing this letter in regards to my wife, who is a German citizen. I am in fact an American citizen born in Wisconsin. In early 2000 while residing in Wisconsin, I filed for a fiancee visa for my wife-to-be. All the paperwork went through INS with no problem and my wife and I were married in late summer 2000 in Wisconsin. She then filed for a change of status and in spring 2001 was granted a permanent residence card (green card), although it was just a “temporary” permanent residence card which expired in spring 2003.

In summer 2002 (before the “temporary” permanent residence card was to expire and before we had a chance to renew it), my wife and I moved to Germany. So, my wife resided in Wisconsin, U.S.A. from late summer 2000 until summer 2002. During our move to Germany, we were unaware if we should contact the INS to let them know we were moving to Germany, so we didn’t. It was not her intention to abandon her residence card (I think she still has it, actually). We thought if we would return to the U.S. in a year or two, we could simply re-apply for another green card.

Since we’ve been here in Germany, I’ve been unable to find any employment due to the extremely poor job market here. It is our intention to return to the U.S. (this time in Florida) sometime in the spring of 2004. Also, as far as an Affidavit of Support for my wife would go, I do have a bit of money in savings to prove support. In addition, if this is not adequate, I do have a good friend who would gladly fill out and sign an Affidavit of Support on my wife’s behalf until I again find gainful employment in the U.S.

My wife and I in fact have done a bit of research and would like to utilize your firm’s legal services. We would like your firm to process a non-immigrant K3 visa for my wife (which would include help with the preparation of the co-sponsor’s affidavit of support). We figure the quicker a proper visa application is filed, the quicker a visa will be issued and the quicker my wife and I can move to the St. Petersburg/Tampa area without being seperated. There are probably a few other ways to go about this (besides the K3 visa), but we feel this is the quickest and safest way to do it. We considered representing ourselves in this matter, but would rather avoid any possible pitfalls along the way.

Firstly, I would just like to get an approximate time period for how long it will take before my wife can enter the U.S., along with an approximate total cost for your firm to process my wife’s K3 visa. I realize your firm normally charges around $100 for a consultation fee, and this is not a problem, but please understand I would just like to get the time and cost estimates from you first before an official consultation takes place. As soon as I get the time/cost estimate from you, I can forward the money to your firm and we can get the ball rolling.

Just to give you a little basic info about my wife and I (which I know is key to a better time/cost estimate), my wife and I have no criminal record in the U.S. or in Germany, we’ve been married for just over 3 years now and we’re planning to move to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area of Florida. My wife does have a SS# and also fingerprints filed with the INS for the original fiancee visa/green card in 2000/2001 (just something to think about). There are no other skeletons in our closets so this should be a straight forward process for your firm.

Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide you to help make this process go as smooth as possible. Thank you for taking the time to review my letter and I truly hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you so much!



Have you contacted an attorney already, or is this a general inquiry letter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential