• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Card Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Member2455

What is the name of your state? Ga.

***I am posting this for a friend who asked me the below question. I had no suggestions to give her. It was foolish for her to give her green card as collateral for a loan repayment. When I say I, I am actually talking about her. I will copy and paste any replies that I get and text them to her.

I did not know where else to post this question so I am posting here. It is an unusual type question I will admit but anyway, here goes. I was stupid. I needed to borrow $1000 and I voluntarily gave my green card, SS card, and bank card to the person I borrowed the money from to hold as collateral to ensure I would pay back the money. I should not have done this. I could not repay the money and now this person is telling me that he will not give me my things back until I pay him as promised. Can I get my sheriff to force him to give me these things back? He claims he has misplaced them and will not bother searching for them unless I pay him as agreed. He also had me sign a promissory note. Do I have any recourse? He did loan me the money but I am in debt up to my eyeballs and I was desperate. He is threatening to take me to small claims court. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state? Ga.
I did not know where else to post this question so I am posting here. It is an unusual type question I will admit but anyway, here goes. I was stupid. I needed to borrow $1000 and I voluntarily gave my green card, SS card, and bank card to the person I borrowed the money from to hold as collateral to ensure I would pay back the money. I should not have done this. I could not repay the money and now this person is telling me that he will not give me my things back until I pay him as promised. Can I get my sheriff to force him to give me these things back? He claims he has misplaced them and will not bother searching for them unless I pay him as agreed. He also had me sign a promissory note. Do I have any recourse? He did loan me the money but I am in debt up to my eyeballs and I was desperate. He is threatening to take me to small claims court. Any advice would be appreciated.
In your other thread you said you've been helping your drunken girlfriend financially. Why in the world are you doing that if you're desperately broke?

Member2455

No, this post was for posted for somebody else I know. I told her I would post in this forum and see if I get any replies and I would relay any replies back to her.. She asked me personally, but I had no suggestions. My girlfriend however does have the drinking problem and all the DUI arrests. I will edit this post to clarify. Thanks!....a bit confusing I know.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
No, this post was for posted for somebody else I know. I told her I would post in this forum and see if I get any replies and I would relay any replies back to her.. She asked me personally, but I had no suggestions. My girlfriend however does have the drinking problem and all the DUI arrests. I will edit this post to clarify. Thanks!....a bit confusing I know.
Tell your friend to sign up for her own account -- we prefer to deal with the parties involved. Although in this case, the answer is the same: your "friend" was incredibly stupid to do this. She can cancel her bank card, get replacements for the other cards, and be prepared to either pay her debts or be sued. And why in the world would she involve the sheriff? She gave up the items voluntarily as collateral - no crime has been committed.

Member2455

@Shadowbunny Thanks so much for your reply. I will pass on to my friend. I am glad I did not loan her the money. I agree with what you said. She gave up the things voluntarily. If she could not pay the money back that was loaned to her, she should not have borrowed it. Yes, no crime was committed. The person loaned her the money and made her sign a promissory note. He did not even charge her any interest. He simply wants the amount he loaned her to be paid back as anyone would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">