• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

greivingspouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greivingspouse

What is the name of your state? Missouri
My mother and step-father were married for 23 years. He passed Nov. 2, 2004. He had a policy through AT&T with Met-Life. The "Designation of Beneficiary" listed the "estate" as the beneficiary and the insurance company won't pay benefits to her. My mother is up to her eyeballs in funeral expenses, mortgage, car loans, and credit card bills. Also they are going to reposess her car and his truck because her name isn't on the loan papers or the titles and she can't get her name on these. The same also applies to the house which she has called home for 23 years. Please help me to help her. We don't know where else to turn. Thank you.

Dandy Don

Naming the estate as beneficiary was not the wisest thing to do but it's better than nothing. If he had named wife as beneficiary the check would have been issued to her without having to go through probate.

Now, your mother or an attorney she hires will need to go to the county courthouse probate court to file to become administrator of the estate. Then the insurance company can issue the check to the administrator who can then use it to take care of estate debts.

Mother should start talking to one or more attorneys to find one who she wants to be administrator. And to prevent being charged exorbitant fees, she should test their honesty by asking each one what is the current rate for executor fees in Missouri, which is generally 5% (5% of the first $5,000 of estate value, plus 4% of the next $20,000, plus gradually descending rates which I can't give you here because I don't have access to the reference book I need). My sincere sympathies for your mother at this difficult time--just be patient--things will get better.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

greivingspouse said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
My mother and step-father were married for 23 years. He passed Nov. 2, 2004. He had a policy through AT&T with Met-Life. The "Designation of Beneficiary" listed the "estate" as the beneficiary and the insurance company won't pay benefits to her. My mother is up to her eyeballs in funeral expenses, mortgage, car loans, and credit card bills. Also they are going to reposess her car and his truck because her name isn't on the loan papers or the titles and she can't get her name on these. The same also applies to the house which she has called home for 23 years. Please help me to help her. We don't know where else to turn. Thank you.
Did your stepfather have any other heirs besides your mother? Here is the law on intestate succession in Missouri (meaning that if stepdad did not have a will, then this is where the money will go):

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_MO.asp

Missouri Intestate Succession Laws

If any part of a Missouri decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

* If there is no surviving issue of the decedent, a surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate.
* If the decedent is survived by issue, all of whom are also issue of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse gets the first $20,000, plus one-half of the remaining balance of the intestate estate.
* If the decedent is survived by issue, one or more of whom are not issue of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse gets one-half of the intestate estate.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to decedent's:

1. Children, or their descendants, in equal parts.
2. Father, mother, brother or sister, or their descendants in equal parts.
3. Grandparents, and uncles and aunts, or their descendants in equal parts.
4. Great-grandfathers, great-grandmothers, or their descendants in equal parts.
5. Next of kin related to the decedent up to the ninth degree of kinship.
6. Predeceased spouse who, at the time of the spouse's death, was married to the decedent (i.e., left the decedent a widow/widower). The estate is then distributed according to the rules above, as if the predeceased spouse had died intestate.

3. State of Missouri. If there is no taker under any of the above provisions, the intestate estate passes by default ("escheats") to the state of Missouri.

Missouri Intestate Succession Law Fun Facts

* Decedent's children or descendants conceived before his death, but born thereafter, inherit as if they had been born in the lifetime of the decedent. However, this exception doesn't apply to any of decedent's other relatives.
* When dealing with collateral relatives that are of equal degree of kinship, relatives of the half-blood inherit half as much as relatives of the whole-blood.
* Any person who fails to survive the decedent by 120 hours is deemed to have predeceased the decedent for purposes of intestate succession (which means that the person generally doesn't get a share of the decedent's estate). If it cannot be established by clear and convincing evidence that the person who would otherwise be an heir has survived the decedent by 120 hours, it is considered that the person failed to survive for the required period. However, these rules don't apply if the end result is that the state of Missouri gets the intestate estate.
* Missouri's intestate succession laws, as well as laws relating to wills, can be found in Title XXXI, Chapter 474, of the Missouri Revised Statutes.

Copyright 2002 - 2005, CCH Tax and Accounting - A WoltersKluwer Company. All Rights Reserved.

greivingspouse

Thank you for your sympathy Dandy Don, It's comforting to know some people understand what some of the widows in this coutry go through needlessly. We also appreciate the info as well as the info from Senior Judge. We will give it our best shot and keep you all posted as to what transpires.

greivingspouse in Missouri :)

A

absconder

Everyone needs a will even if your dog is your only family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">