• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ground rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

doogie_21239

I'm being sued for failure to pay ground rent. Heres the situation, I received a summons in September. I responded to the summons in writing prior to the deadline. In addition, I paid the outstanding balance to the plaintiff. Last week, my written response was returned to me from the court, indicating I failed to prove a copy of my response was sent to the plaintiff. Today - I received a "notice of default order". What should I do? Do I have a leg to stand on? Since this has been officially filed with the court, is it too late to resolve this matter out of court? Should I contact the plaintiff to try and rectify this situation. I am located in the state of Maryland. The plaintiff is asking for recovery of land plus money damages of $1800.00, the outstanding balance was $232.20. Please help.

HomeGuru

You are doogie without the gie at the end.
Your answer to the complaint was considered by the Court as deficient due to the fact that you did not follow proper procedure. You needed to add the verification of service whereby you state that this answer was served upon the Plaintiff or their attorney at what address.

How much land value are we talking here. If it is substantial, you can file a separate lawsuit.

This is what happens when you want to be your own attorney and do not know the proper legal procedures.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 12-13-2000 at 11:00 AM]

D

doogie_21239

Its a rather small lot. Large enough for an end of group townhouse. I really do not want to counter sue. And what grounds whould I have?

So what do I do know? Should I appeal the decision, along with proof of payment of the balance? Should I contact the plaintiff and try to handle this off line? Should I contact a lawyer?

Any suggestions on where to go next? Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">