• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

group health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pascale

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? New york

I have been participating in my company's group health insurance for the last five years. They pay the "single" portion for me and they deduct pre-tax the difference for "family" coverage out of my paycheck. It's a plan where you can either see "network" doctors or "out of network" doctors. Needless to say, this coverage is very costly. I have complaining for years about the increases and was not given any other options by my employer.

This year, my employer got the "idea" of calling the insurance rep. about switching my coverage to an HMO, within the same insurance company. The rep said it's not a problem.

My questions is: Who had the reponsibility to notify me of the various options available to me? Employer or insurance company?I have been struggling to pay for insurance I did not need for 5 years. All the doctors I've ever seen were always "in network" anyway. Somoeone dropped the ball and I'm very upset.

Please help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer has the responsibility of informing you of any options they offer; however, it is not clear from your post if this option has always been available or if this is a new option they have only just added as a result of your request. They are NOT required to provide more than one option; in fact, except in the state of Hawaii they are not required to provide any insurance at all. If, as your post sounds, they have decided to provide this second option because it is more convenient for you, then frankly, you have no cause to be upset; that is going FAR beyond what they are required to do for their employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">