• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Group Life & Voluntry Life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vringle

What is the name of your state?
Ohio

Work offers group Life at 1 1/2 our salary. Then they offer you to purchase voluntary Life. You buy increments @ 10,000, 20,000 etc.
Last Nov/Dec my husband increased his voluntary life and added an add'l 45,000. We had just got married in July. This was over a phone during his annual open enrollment. He never received the paper work to add a beneficiary. But there was one on the group life that was paid by the employer. I'd like to know since he never signed for a beneficiary on the new policy to whom does this money go???

The insurance has stated this coverage is by the same insuraer and they didn't need two different signatures for beneficiaries for each policy.

They are two seperate policiea offered by the the group. One paid by the employer and the other is volunary and paid by the employee. This was done through open enrollment over the phone.

What is ERISA???

Just wanting to know the law. Thanks for any help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there is no beneficiary listed, the money will go to his estate. Or, alternately, if the insurer considers the second policy to be an addendum to the first policy, it will go to the beneficiary listed on the first policy. Given the response you got from the insurer, there's a strong possibility that this will be the case. Many employer-sponsored policies work like that; you don't actually have two separate policies - the second policy is considered to be part of the first.

If the underlying question here is, will the money go to his employer, the answer is no, it will not.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">