• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GS:20-141(j1)-speeding more than 15 mph over limit-in Chapel hill,NC-Orange county

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kk18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina, chapel hill, Orange county,

Hi All,

I got a speeding ticket today in chapel hill, NC (Orange county). this is the first time that i was stopped by the police officer and i really can not describe my fear and feelings when i saw the flashing lights.
The officer said that i was going on 55mph in a 35 mph zone and i replied that "i am sorry officer, i did not realize that" than he asked for my license and went back to his car.
I thought that he was checking my license and that he would tell me about giving the ticket when he comes back (like they show in the movies). So i was thinking of how i should reply.

But when he came back, he simply handed me the ticket and said that i have the option of paying the total fine of $ 171 and that i need not go to court. I realized that i just got my first ticket and just said i am sorry and i did not realize that i was speeding. He replied that there were traffic lights before in the road and other cars are in the limit( which i did not think as fair, as couple of cars were there before me too)

so can you please advise me. shall i just pay up? and do i have to court on the day given or can i ask for a later date with out going to court.

And also the major mistake for me was, my license had a restriction- that i can drive only fleet vehicles(rental cars), as i did not have a insurance on my NC license. This is because, i did not own car. So will it be a big trouble?
So please advise, internet has lot of info, Shall i hire a lawyer but many on the forum were saying that lawyer just does nothing and plead guilty anyway.
Thanks a lot to all of you,

The Occultist

many on the forum were saying that lawyer just does nothing
I disagree with this; a local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear and as such has the highest potential of creating the most favorable outcome for you. If you are still not satisfied with my statement, sit down with a couple local traffic attorneys and see what insight they may have to offer; many attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, so I advise you take advantage of that.

kk18

thanks, will go to attorney

I disagree with this; a local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear and as such has the highest potential of creating the most favorable outcome for you. If you are still not satisfied with my statement, sit down with a couple local traffic attorneys and see what insight they may have to offer; many attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, so I advise you take advantage of that.
Hi Occultist,
Thanks for the advise. I shall go and meet some local attorneys but first i need to find out some good ones here in chapel hill, NC. Since i moved here recently, i do not have any idea and very few friends to advise.

Thanks again and have a good day,

PS- Did any one face a similar problem in Orange county, Chapel Hill NC and can any one please suggest me which attorney they hired and their experiences. I will be very much gratfull.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">