• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guarantees after change of ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aliasage

I'm in San Jose, CA. I purchased an appliance in March, 2000, from a business near my home. On the receipt, there is a 'no charge on service call for lifetime guarantee with receipt'. The appliance now needs repair and when I called, the person told me that they were not honoring the previous owners guarantees or warantees. Apparently, the business has changed hands in the last few months. I asked if there was a law he was basing this decision on and he said no.

This business has the same name, same address, and same phone number.

Is this person within their rights to refuse to honor the agreement made with the same business prior to the change of ownership? Or does this new owner still have the responsibility to customers that bought appliances from the business just prior to the change in ownership?

Should I have the appliance repaired and bill them for it?

[Edited by aliasage on 12-11-2000 at 03:55 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">