• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guarantor laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hellomoto

What is the name of your state?
Texas
My mother co-signed as a guarantor for my first lease in an apartment.after that lease was up i had signed a new one on my own with out my mother as an guarantor.when she signed it was october 2000.i lived at this apartment for 5 years from october 2000 to august 2005.form the time of the new lease signed by myself to 05 of august i have had many different managers and signed many different leases showing no guarantor.the aparment complx was even bought by new owners.basically i couldn't pay rent and had to leave because of notice to process eviction.i had broke my lease and the manager sent my mother a move out report with charges and a copy of the guarantor lease from october 2000.my mother is thinkin these charges are going to be on her credit report even thou the first lease expired and i signed new leases by myself later on.is she accountable for these charges as well?how long does a guarantor period last?what can we do?

south

Your mother has gauranteed you as a renter to the complex you reside in thus she can be held responsible.

Hows this for a novelty? Pay what you owe otherwise you or someone close to you may have to.

hellomoto said:
What is the name of your state?
Texas
My mother co-signed as a guarantor for my first lease in an apartment.after that lease was up i had signed a new one on my own with out my mother as an guarantor.when she signed it was october 2000.i lived at this apartment for 5 years from october 2000 to august 2005.form the time of the new lease signed by myself to 05 of august i have had many different managers and signed many different leases showing no guarantor.the aparment complx was even bought by new owners.basically i couldn't pay rent and had to leave because of notice to process eviction.i had broke my lease and the manager sent my mother a move out report with charges and a copy of the guarantor lease from october 2000.my mother is thinkin these charges are going to be on her credit report even thou the first lease expired and i signed new leases by myself later on.is she accountable for these charges as well?how long does a guarantor period last?what can we do?

hellomoto

even thou i signed a new lease bymyself?i will pay for the charges overtime by myself i just don't want it on her record.i looked some were else online and it said if changes are made to lease(even minor) without the guarantor's consent then the guarantor is not held liable.during my fifth lease renewal i had added 2 cats without the guarontor consent(my mother).i had signed a seperate pet lease.so does this have an effect?i mean if all these lease signings were taking place is my mother responsible?

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything specific in any of my Texas-specific materials, but my more general landlording books all say that the co-signer is responsible for the duration of whatever their signature is on.

Since mgt has changed so much they may just be pulling out your original paperwork to look up your deposit, apartment condition, etc.

Have you notified them in writing that you are currently under the lease that you signed on such and such a date without her signature, and here's a copy of it in case they do not have it in their records. Politely inform them (in writing) that they are harassing her at this point, as she obviously is not longer linked in any way to this situation.

Like you were told........if you pay them - they'll leave her alone.

Karla in Amarillo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">