• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardian Ad Litem Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kakooi

What is the name of your state? Alaska

Do Guardian Ad Litems have to keep their notes on a case after they are dismissed or can they destroy them? If they are required to keep them, how long. In Alaska, the Guardian Ad Litem is considered a party to the case.

My step son's guardian ad litem had knowledge of three missed doses of antipsychotic medication while my son was in his mother's care. We showed him proof by pulling all of the pharmacy records and plotting it out on a calendar. This clearly showed that there was not enough medication, and she missed the doses. The mother did not pick up the rx before going out of town which resulted in three missed doses. Prior to this we let the GAL know that in the past she had issues not giving him his meds the way she should have.

Is there a process to acquire these notes such as a discovery request? Or should I file a motion asking the court to release those notes to me?

quincy

Please add these questions to the most recent of your threads on this same issue. It is easier on forum members to have the background information in one place. The background information is helpful in addressing your concerns.

Thanks.

Just Blue

Please add these questions to the most recent of your threads on this same issue. It is easier on forum members to have the background information in one place. The background information is helpful in addressing your concerns.

Thanks.
She deleted the other thread.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As a GAL I could answer. But you deleted your other thread, are a liar, and are rude. That is three strikes against you. I don't feel the need to help you at all.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state? Alaska

Do Guardian Ad Litems have to keep their notes on a case after they are dismissed or can they destroy them? If they are required to keep them, how long. In Alaska, the Guardian Ad Litem is considered a party to the case.

My step son's guardian ad litem had knowledge of three missed doses of antipsychotic medication while my son was in his mother's care. We showed him proof by pulling all of the pharmacy records and plotting it out on a calendar. This clearly showed that there was not enough medication, and she missed the doses. The mother did not pick up the rx before going out of town which resulted in three missed doses. Prior to this we let the GAL know that in the past she had issues not giving him his meds the way she should have.

Is there a process to acquire these notes such as a discovery request? Or should I file a motion asking the court to release those notes to me?
It is unclear what you are trying to do. You should have your own personal records of all these things. The GAL is not on trial. Dad can present in court the information that was shared with the GAL.

The GAL does not have to use the information Dad shares; the GAL can decide that the information Dad shares is irrelevant to the issue being deliberated, or that it does not prove what Dad thinks it does. Ditto for whatever Mom comes up with. The job of the GAL is to represent the child in this mess.

If a case has been dismissed with prejudice, then any new case can require the information be gathered anew.
If a case has been dismissed without prejudice, then it has kind of been put on pause, and the point you're getting at might hold water, depending on the circumstances. However, based on your previous posts, I think that even if that is the case, Dad needs the help of a lawyer. Your blended family has a lot of complicated issues going on, and the stress of coping makes it difficult for you to manage things in an organized fashion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">