• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardianship case w/ grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Good job on getting rid of the pervy b/f. And while you've met several of the criteria, your housing situation isn't stable. Honestly? I would file to keep grandma from relocating the child and very specific parenting time (utilizing every minute of it and filing against grandma for contempt if she violates the order), and then focus on getting to a financial place where you can maintain a place of your own for ~six months. And only then consider filing to regain custody. It is unlikely that a judge would grant your relatively new live-in b/f guardianship of any sort.

It would also shine favorably on you if you could show that you are further educating yourself on the nature of your son's issues and methods of handling them.

Lastly - and I'm sure you're not going to like reading this (I wouldn't) - remember that, regardless of current/past issues between your mother & yourself, she made herself available to take in your son when it was necessary. Not everyone has that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you are not in the lease and can show you have stable income to pay the rent each month then you do not have stable housing. How many bedrooms does the apartment have? How many people live there? From where do earn income? Type of work that is. Just because you go through the motions completing everything doesn’t mean it is automatic. You need to prove you have made changes. What is the background of current bf? Any criminal history? CSB history? Is he stable? Does he use any drugs recreationally? Does he have children? Why did he let you move in so quickly?

ashlee30

I’m currently on the lease and we’re upgrading to a two bedroom. I have a fulltime job employed by Aerotek doing Covid testing. but as of today my hours have went from 40 to 24 so now I am trying to find a different full time job or just another part time to fill in the missing hours. just me and my boyfriend live here. no criminal history with current bf. yes he is very stable. no he has never done any drugs and can pass a drug test. he has a 5 year old that he sees every other wknd. he let me move in because he didn't want me stranded and because my mother did me wrong by kicking me out with having no where to go and in the mist of being kicked out we decided since we liked each other and wanted to get to know each other that it was a win/win for us to let me move in so we could get to know each other and spend time with each other as well as helping me get back on my feet so that I could possibly regain custody.

Just Blue

I’m currently on the lease and we’re upgrading to a two bedroom. I have a fulltime job employed by Aerotek doing Covid testing. but as of today my hours have went from 40 to 24 so now I am trying to find a different full time job or just another part time to fill in the missing hours. just me and my boyfriend live here. no criminal history with current bf. yes he is very stable. no he has never done any drugs and can pass a drug test. he has a 5 year old that he sees every other wknd. he let me move in because he didn't want me stranded and because my mother did me wrong by kicking me out with having no where to go and in the mist of being kicked out we decided since we liked each other and wanted to get to know each other that it was a win/win for us to let me move in so we could get to know each other and spend time with each other as well as helping me get back on my feet so that I could possibly regain custody.
Are you sure he has no criminal background? Did you run a criminal background check on him. What reason did your mother give you for kicking you out? Are you paying child support?

ashlee30

Are you sure he has no criminal background? Did you run a criminal background check on him. What reason did your mother give you for kicking you out? Are you paying child support?
The only thing he has is petty theft was over 15 years ago. She didn’t give me a reason. She just hated the fact that I met someone and was wanting to date no I don’t have too because she gets my sons SSI.

Just Blue

The only thing he has is petty theft was over 15 years ago. She didn’t give me a reason. She just hated the fact that I met someone and was wanting to date no I don’t have too because she gets my sons SSI.
Come on ashlee30. You were under a CPS investigation because of your absolutely horrifying choice to date a man you knew prayed on CHILDREN and there is a pandemic going on. Your mother, I'm sure, was angry that you were putting your social life ahead of what is in the best interest of your child.
You need to discuss your alarming lack of personal insight with your therapist. You also need to keep in mind that the choices you make effect your child and your ability to convince the Judge that being in your care is what is best for him.

You are going to hate this, but it needs to be said because you don't seem to understand the severity of the crime.

Children are forced to undress and perform unspeakable acts and some sick SOB takes a picture/video of these little children being harmed for the pleasure of other sick SOB's. That video is sent to thousands or even millions of perverts all around the world. Forever those picture/videos are on the net....pictures and videos of little children being raped, sodomized and victimized. Those victims have to wonder every time they walk out their door if the people they are interacting with have seen those images. This is something they have deal with for the rest of their life. A constant re-victimization. Forever.

You knowingly dated a man that did this.

Maymee

Frankly, right now, the ONLY thing you need to concentrate on is improving yourself to regain custody and preventing a move by your mother.

A judge isn’t going to hand custody to a boyfriend of a few months. It will never happen.

It is because of a man that you are in this situation now. You need to work on getting a job, establishing your OWN residence (even low income housing is acceptable), and some therapy to find out why you, as it appears, are placing your wants (a sexual predator of children because, honey, that doesn’t just stop at the photos as a general rule) above your child and work out the issues with your mom (they’re there even if you can only see this one) - or dad.
So that’s 1) File to prevent a relocation; 2) Job; 3) Residence you have established and maintain on your own; 4) Therapist or find support groups such as Al-Anon in your area.

I wish you and your son the best.

Eekamouse

OP. you are completely deluded if you think the court would ever transfer guardianship of your son from your mother to your boyfriend of 5 whole months. I'm surprised you aren't referring to this guy as your fiancee. Your child is definitely better off with your mother than with you. Your priorities are all f'ed up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">