• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of grandson whom I’ve had since birth.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessicas2020

What is the name of your state?Missouri, Jasper County.
I have had my 4 yr old grandson since birth in 2020. His mother (my daughter) is willing to sign him over to me . The father is unknown, no father listed on the birth certificate. How do I go about getting full legal guardianship or custody of my grandson?

quincy

What is the name of your state?Missouri, Jasper County.
I have had my 4 yr old grandson since birth in 2020. His mother (my daughter) is willing to sign him over to me . The father is unknown, no father listed on the birth certificate. How do I go about getting full legal guardianship or custody of my grandson?
If your daughter does not in fact know for a certainty who the father of her son is (which could be the case if she had multiple partners over a short period of time) and no one has in fact stepped forward to claim he is the father of the child, then you as petitioner must allege that the natural father is unknown.

If your daughter does know the identity of the father but does not know where he is, a request for service to the father by publication should be requested.

Because there are specific rules that must be followed and you don’t want to “mess up” anything and have your custody/guardianship challenged at a later date, it is recommended that you have an attorney assist you and your daughter.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Well he is de

He’s deceased, but thank you anyway.He’s deceased, but thank you anyway
Ok, then when the judge asks you about the father rather than saying that there is no dad on the birth certificate, you should be stating that the dad is deceased and never established paternity prior to his death.

quincy

If the father is said to be deceased, paternity still may (probably will) need to be established. This could require DNA testing of the father’s parent(s) or sibling(s).

As mentioned several times already, you and your daughter will want advice and direction from an attorney in Missouri.

We have on this forum an attorney who is licensed to practice law in Missouri. Although I don’t believe “TigerD” specializes in this specific area of law, I will tag him to see if he has any additional advice to offer. He does not have the opportunity to visit the forum frequently, so please be patient and check back later.

@TigerD

LdiJ

If the father is said to be deceased, paternity still may (probably will) need to be established. This could require DNA testing of the father’s parent(s) or sibling(s).
I know for a fact that that is incorrect.

As mentioned several times :), you and your daughter will want advice and direction from an attorney in Missouri.
I agree with you and Zddoodah on that.

quincy

I know for a fact that that is incorrect. …
Proof?

If there has been no paternity established, and the purported father is deceased, there is still the chance that another man may come forward later.

LdiJ

Proof?

If there has been no paternity established, and the purported father is deceased, there is still the chance that another man may come forward later.
And if so, that man can raise a challenge at that time if he wishes to do so. This is not an adoption situation where an unknown parent's potential rights will be permanently severed. You are mixing up adoption and custody.

quincy

And if so, that man can raise a challenge at that time if he wishes to do so. This is not an adoption situation where an unknown parent's potential rights will be permanently severed. You are mixing up adoption and custody.
You are right. I was confusing custody/guardianship with adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">