• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of incapacitated adult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am using the self service options of my county courthouse/Orphans court to file paperwork to establish guardianship of an IA. They have requirements listed and most of the forms, however... The very first form is the Citation Notice. Which begins with "A Petition has been filed with this Court to have you declared an Incapacitated Person." I can not find ANYWHERE, the proper form to use for the actual petition itself ( for our county). I am assuming that this is something that is suppose to be in a specific form, as I have found it for other states. BUT, does it HAVE to be? Or can I follow proper legal formatting and write the petition with all the required information needed myself? Going to the courthouse Orphan's division and asking them for forms just results in them sending you back to the self service site.

Thank you.


Senior Member
I suggest you contact the Pennsylvania Department of Aging, but you will need a lawyer.

(not sure why this is all beefy, but it does add emphasis)


New member
Thank you both, was hoping to do self service but looking more like you are both right. I am unsure if we will be able to afford the lawyer tho. Will talk more to Maximus Agency when they call us this week about the services being setup for her. Hopefully they will have some recommendations on aid that she/we would qualify for in getting this established. I believe dept of aging are the ones who just did the referral to Maximus after their evaluation.
Sponsored Ad