• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guest overstay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcstauff

I allowed a young woman to stay in a room in my apartment until she could get back on her feet. She was an acquaintance of my son in high school that hard fallen on economic hard times. The first year, I would not accept any rent. The second, she persuaded me to take $60 a week, which later fell to $40. She first started occupying my spare room 2 1/2 years ago. My one condition was that she help me with things that are now hard for me to do. 6 months ago she went to stay at the home that her boyfriend was staying in to help an elderly diabetic. She stopped doing anything to aid me, but said she wanted to keep paying "rent" so that she could stay her when she wanted. Last weekend there was a big blowup because she came back for two nights and neglected to get out of bed to help with the cleaning. I told her that she should return her key and stop with the "rent". She retaliated by saying that she had tenant's rights since she paid so called "rent" and had her mail delivered here. I feel that she has had ample time to save up for a car and the deposit on an apartment. She has never been on the lease. What are her rights in Ohio to keep occupying the room?

Just Blue

I allowed a young woman to stay in a room in my apartment until she could get back on her feet. She was an acquaintance of my son in high school that hard fallen on economic hard times. The first year, I would not accept any rent. The second, she persuaded me to take $60 a week, which later fell to $40. She first started occupying my spare room 2 1/2 years ago. My one condition was that she help me with things that are now hard for me to do. 6 months ago she went to stay at the home that her boyfriend was staying in to help an elderly diabetic. She stopped doing anything to aid me, but said she wanted to keep paying "rent" so that she could stay her when she wanted. Last weekend there was a big blowup because she came back for two nights and neglected to get out of bed to help with the cleaning. I told her that she should return her key and stop with the "rent". She retaliated by saying that she had tenant's rights since she paid so called "rent" and had her mail delivered here. I feel that she has had ample time to save up for a car and the deposit on an apartment. She has never been on the lease. What are her rights in Ohio to keep occupying the room?
you have the right to evict her per the Ohio LL/Tenant laws. Start by giving her a 30 day notice that her tenancy is ending. Send this notice to her CRRR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">