• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gym Forged My Signature After Cancellation and Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whoisonfirst

What is the name of your state? OR

Sorry for the long background story. I promise it leads to something relevant ...

Earlier in November, I joined a gym. This facility was in the process of moving into a new location, so it would not actually open until December 1st (or so I was promised.) On separate occasions, different employees promised me certain machines would be available as of December 1st, and that the entire gym would open on schedule. Alas, this was not true. Only one floor opened on time. The promised machines would not become available until February or March 2005. I complained - firmly and at certain moments, loudly - and was able to cancel my contract. (But only after suffering serious abuse from the manager.)

But then I suddenly began receiving phone calls from someone out of state, checking up on shipments to - guess where? - this very same gym. Turns out a member of the gym staff gave out my number. Accident or not? I have no idea, but it smells fishy.

This got me worried about my personal information, since my SSN and debit card number were on my original contract. I faxed a letter and went back to the gym, demanding that they return their copy of the contract to me, since they had already proven they could not be trusted with private information (or with anything, for that matter). The manager said he could definitely return the contract. He went to retrieve it from the old location (still functioning as an office), but never returned.

My husband was with me, and we waited almost an hour before ...

We were introduced to an Operations Manager, who informed me the club could not return contracts since they were *technically* gym property (nothing on the contract grants them this right.) I compromised and asked her to at least black out my SSN and other private info. She said okay. BUT she would not let me watch her as she did it. She went into another office (in the old building again) and returned with a photocopy showing all the info blacked out. (Um, I was not exactly happy, since she could have made a copy, blacked that out, and made another copy for me, never once blacking out the original ... but at this point, I had to just trust her.)

Here is where it gets weird. I returned home and immediately noticed that this photocopy contains my signature on lines I never signed - in handwriting that is not mine. I looked at my carbon copy of the original contract, and sure enough, I did not sign on these particular lines. On my carbon copy of the original, those lines are blank. (It was one of those forms that has two sheets - one original and one carbon.) The Operations Manager (or someone else) FORGED my name!! She also added in a remaining balance due where before there was none - also something that had mistakenly been left off of my contract. Strange, because she had already promised I would never again be charged. I mean, what other reason would she have to do this, besides charging me the money?

What should I do? I am worried she will try to use this as some kind of debt validation and collect on it. Although, I do have in writing that the membership was cancelled (albeit on a makeshift form, but it does have the manager's signature). BUT this does not say anything about not charging me in the future ... ach.

I am thinking Ms. Operations Manager may have filled in these blanks just to make the forms complete for their records (for loss, etc.)

But yikes! Isn't she also criminally responsible for forging my name? (Or whoever did it?) And even worse - it was on a bank draft authorization form. Looks like I just did not sign it the first time around, and somehow nobody noticed. Hard to tell when this forgery was done, though. Could have been done right after I signed up, for all I know. Perhaps the sales representative forgot to have me sign that particular line, and she noticed after I left ...

My signature appears on other pages, and wow, it could not be more different than this fake one. This fake is waaaaay obvious.

What steps should I take? And in which order? I plan to file charges with the police, of course. But what else can I do?

stevek3

whoisonfirst said:
What is the name of your state? OR

Sorry for the long background story. I promise it leads to something relevant ...

Earlier in November, I joined a gym. This facility was in the process of moving into a new location, so it would not actually open until December 1st (or so I was promised.) On separate occasions, different employees promised me certain machines would be available as of December 1st, and that the entire gym would open on schedule. Alas, this was not true. Only one floor opened on time. The promised machines would not become available until February or March 2005. I complained - firmly and at certain moments, loudly - and was able to cancel my contract. (But only after suffering serious abuse from the manager.)

But then I suddenly began receiving phone calls from someone out of state, checking up on shipments to - guess where? - this very same gym. Turns out a member of the gym staff gave out my number. Accident or not? I have no idea, but it smells fishy.

This got me worried about my personal information, since my SSN and debit card number were on my original contract. I faxed a letter and went back to the gym, demanding that they return their copy of the contract to me, since they had already proven they could not be trusted with private information (or with anything, for that matter). The manager said he could definitely return the contract. He went to retrieve it from the old location (still functioning as an office), but never returned.

My husband was with me, and we waited almost an hour before ...

We were introduced to an Operations Manager, who informed me the club could not return contracts since they were *technically* gym property (nothing on the contract grants them this right.) I compromised and asked her to at least black out my SSN and other private info. She said okay. BUT she would not let me watch her as she did it. She went into another office (in the old building again) and returned with a photocopy showing all the info blacked out. (Um, I was not exactly happy, since she could have made a copy, blacked that out, and made another copy for me, never once blacking out the original ... but at this point, I had to just trust her.)

Here is where it gets weird. I returned home and immediately noticed that this photocopy contains my signature on lines I never signed - in handwriting that is not mine. I looked at my carbon copy of the original contract, and sure enough, I did not sign on these particular lines. On my carbon copy of the original, those lines are blank. (It was one of those forms that has two sheets - one original and one carbon.) The Operations Manager (or someone else) FORGED my name!! She also added in a remaining balance due where before there was none - also something that had mistakenly been left off of my contract. Strange, because she had already promised I would never again be charged. I mean, what other reason would she have to do this, besides charging me the money?

What should I do? I am worried she will try to use this as some kind of debt validation and collect on it. Although, I do have in writing that the membership was cancelled (albeit on a makeshift form, but it does have the manager's signature). BUT this does not say anything about not charging me in the future ... ach.

I am thinking Ms. Operations Manager may have filled in these blanks just to make the forms complete for their records (for loss, etc.)

But yikes! Isn't she also criminally responsible for forging my name? (Or whoever did it?) And even worse - it was on a bank draft authorization form. Looks like I just did not sign it the first time around, and somehow nobody noticed. Hard to tell when this forgery was done, though. Could have been done right after I signed up, for all I know. Perhaps the sales representative forgot to have me sign that particular line, and she noticed after I left ...

My signature appears on other pages, and wow, it could not be more different than this fake one. This fake is waaaaay obvious.

What steps should I take? And in which order? I plan to file charges with the police, of course. But what else can I do?
I don't read rambling posts that are 10 pages longer than the entire Sunday edition of the New York Times. Therefore, I have no idea what your post says. Sorry. However, I did notice your title. Therefore, I hope your gym troubles at least got you some thick pecs, some cut quads and a ripped six-pack of abs.

JETX

whoisonfirst said:
Okay. Your 'thoughts' are very possibly right.

But yikes! Isn't she also criminally responsible for forging my name? (Or whoever did it?)
And therein lies your problem.... you have NO proof as to WHO signed your name. If you want, go ahead and contact the police about the forgery. However, without any proof, the complaint will likely not go very far.

But what else can I do?
Until such time as you are actually 'damaged', you have no real civil recourse.

BSJM

stevek3 said:
I don't read rambling posts that are 10 pages longer than the entire Sunday edition of the New York Times. Therefore, I have no idea what your post says. Sorry. However, I did notice your title. Therefore, I hope your gym troubles at least got you some thick pecs, some cut quads and a ripped six-pack of abs.

Thanks again to Steve for another useless response and for his condescending critisism of the people this board was designed to help. Keep up the good work Steve, you are obviously a valuable member here.

stevek3

BSJM said:
Thanks again to Steve for another useless response and for his condescending critisism of the people this board was designed to help. Keep up the good work Steve, you are obviously a valuable member here.
Your post above is even less helpful than mine. I didn't think that was going to be possible.

BSJM

stevek3 said:
Your post above is even less helpful than mine. I didn't think that was going to be possible.

There you go again Steve "not thinking". This appears to be a common habit of yours. I'm amazed that you were even able to muster up the knowledge it takes to turn your computer on. But then again, turning it on is not the problem for you, it's turning it off that seems to be the problem. I'll bet you don't have much of a life outside this chatroom. I'll also bet you are so addicted to harassing people on this site that you have it bookmarked in your "favorites" column. I'm right aren't I? It's sitting there just to the left of where you are currently typing a comeback isn't it? By the way, I read some of your responses to others looking for legal advice here and it just confirms that I didn't misread you based on your last rude comments I read. It seems to be a real problem for you.

stevek3

BSJM said:
There you go again Steve "not thinking". This appears to be a common habit of yours. I'm amazed that you were even able to muster up the knowledge it takes to turn your computer on. But then again, turning it on is not the problem for you, it's turning it off that seems to be the problem. I'll bet you don't have much of a life outside this chatroom. I'll also bet you are so addicted to harassing people on this site that you have it bookmarked in your "favorites" column. I'm right aren't I? It's sitting there just to the left of where you are currently typing a comeback isn't it? By the way, I read some of your responses to others looking for legal advice here and it just confirms that I didn't misread you based on your last rude comments I read. It seems to be a real problem for you.
Your ability to psychoanalyze is simply fabulous.

whoisonfirst

Okay, folks. This is ridiculous. I will never again return to this site. What's the point?

A special note to stevek3:

I apologized for the length of my post; that courtesy ought to have been enough. How disgusting and sad that people are intimidated by a few meaty paragraphs. Is reading really so wearing on your brain? Does it hurt?

If you are so concerned with extraneous words, why did you reply to this thread at all? Your post was useless. In fact, it was so useless it should not exist at all - which means EVERY word typed on your keyboard was extraneous. Please, learn to restrain the typing. (In other words: shut your mouth.)

I provided all the facts, so forum members could properly evaluate the situation. I cancelled a contract after all; it was important to explain why. The reasons behind this cancellation are part of why I feel so suspicious about the forgery. They also go to the character of the people - and business - with whom I am dealing.

stevek3

whoisonfirst said:
Okay, folks. This is ridiculous. I will never again return to this site. What's the point?

A special note to stevek3:

I apologized for the length of my post; that courtesy ought to have been enough. How disgusting and sad that people are intimidated by a few meaty paragraphs. Is reading really so wearing on your brain? Does it hurt?

If you are so concerned with extraneous words, why did you reply to this thread at all? Your post was useless. In fact, it was so useless it should not exist at all - which means EVERY word typed on your keyboard was extraneous. Please, learn to restrain the typing. (In other words: shut your mouth.)

I provided all the facts, so forum members could properly evaluate the situation. I cancelled a contract after all; it was important to explain why. The reasons behind this cancellation are part of why I feel so suspicious about the forgery. They also go to the character of the people - and business - with whom I am dealing.
The point was, and I am not limiting it to you by any stretch of the imagination, is just give a short, concise statement of the facts. That way, helpful responses are possible. Nobody likes to take six hours to filter. I can assure you if you personally took your present issue to a lawyer, and you laid out the fact situation just like you laid them out here, he (or she) would have been rushed to an insane asylum within five minutes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">