• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B in Company A, Green Card in Company B

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okezieowen

Indiana

I started working with Company A in Indiana in 2018 -- they sponsored my H1B visa. Along the way, I got married to a green card holder and got my green card in January 2021. In the first week of November, I got an offer with Company B in Texas. My intention is to work both jobs for the time being. I plan to continue working at Company A with my H1B and resume working at Company B with my green card. I wanted to understand what the risks are that would come with this, to help me make an informed cost-benefit analysis.

Thank you.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

If you have permanent residence now, the H1B is irrelevant. You can work for whoever will hire you. The employers are free to hire you or not. Best to apprise both companies of your intentions. The fact that you are working for someone else is good enough reason for them to fire you.

LdiJ

Indiana

I started working with Company A in Indiana in 2018 -- they sponsored my H1B visa. Along the way, I got married to a green card holder and got my green card in January 2021. In the first week of November, I got an offer with Company B in Texas. My intention is to work both jobs for the time being. I plan to continue working at Company A with my H1B and resume working at Company B with my green card. I wanted to understand what the risks are that would come with this, to help me make an informed cost-benefit analysis.

Thank you.
The risk is that both of them will fire you for doing so, and you could end up with bad references. Depending on what you do, it is even possible that one or the other of them could go after you civilly or criminally if you are attempting to do both jobs during the same hours of the day. That risk however is much less than the risk of simply being fired and given a bad reference.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The risk is that both of them will fire you for doing so, and you could end up with bad references. Depending on what you do, it is even possible that one or the other of them could go after you civilly or criminally if you are attempting to do both jobs during the same hours of the day. That risk however is much less than the risk of simply being fired and given a bad reference.
Criminally?
What crime do you think would have been committed?
Even a civil cause of action would be a stretch...what cause of action do you think would exist in the situation, as explained by the OP?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And where do you see that he's planning to claim the same hours twice, rather than working day shift for one and swing shift for another, as an example?

LdiJ

And where do you see that he's planning to claim the same hours twice, rather than working day shift for one and swing shift for another, as an example?
I said "if". I was very careful about that.

LdiJ

I'd still like to know what criminal cause of action there would be even if the OP worked the same hours for both.
There may not be. I don't know enough info to comment any further than I did. However I can imagine scenarios where something like that could be considered a form of theft.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's an odd thing.

In all my years on FA, and due to systems updates I've been here even longer than my profile says I have, never once do I remember a single thread where a poster was found to be attempting to claim the same hours for two different employers.

But every time the question of working at more than one job comes up, someone - not always the same person, but someone and generally one of about three people - invariably suggests that the OP, whoever the OP may be, might be attempting to do exactly that.

I know that "if" was used in this case. What I don't understand is why anyone should think it was happening at all. For most people, working remotely is something that's only become a thing in less than the last two years. Most people have not yet mastered the trick of being in two places at the same time.

And if anyone here tries to tell me that they see it a lot with their clients or in their business, well, I'm sorry but I simply don't believe that.

LdiJ

It's an odd thing.

In all my years on FA, and due to systems updates I've been here even longer than my profile says I have, never once do I remember a single thread where a poster was found to be attempting to claim the same hours for two different employers.

But every time the question of working at more than one job comes up, someone - not always the same person, but someone and generally one of about three people - invariably suggests that the OP, whoever the OP may be, might be attempting to do exactly that.

I know that "if" was used in this case. What I don't understand is why anyone should think it was happening at all. For most people, working remotely is something that's only become a thing in less than the last two years. Most people have not yet mastered the trick of being in two places at the same time.

And if anyone here tries to tell me that they see it a lot with their clients or in their business, well, I'm sorry but I simply don't believe that.
I actually know someone who has been doing it for the last couple of years. She is working remotely at her main job, and takes the laptop for her main job with her to her second job, and works the two jobs simultaneously for the first half of the second job shift. The second boss accepts it because she is short handed and would rather have a butt in the seat with divided attention, rather than no butt in the seat at all.

Quite frankly I am surprised that she hasn't been caught out and fired from the first job.

There have been at least a couple of people who came to this forum admitting that they intended to work two jobs during the same hours. Both remotely.

This OP seems says that he/she intends to work one job on his/her HB1 visa and one job on his/her green card, which is odd as he/she has to use his/her SSN on both jobs, so I am not sure what he/she really hopes to accomplish doing that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There have been several people who have been accused of working two jobs at the same hours on this forum, but I don't recall any who admitted to doing so, And perhaps what he wants to accomplish is putting a little more money in his pocket. That's what most people want to accomplish when they take a second job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Particularly since the second boss knows and accepts the situation. That's not quite the same issue. Close, I grant you, but not the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">