• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B visa: border post issuance for third world country nationals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? New York

I just had my status changed from F1 (student) to H1B, and I'm told that in order to be able to travel in and out of the country, I need to go out of the country and get a non-immigrant visa issued to me, get my passport stamped with that visa. Now, I was born in the United Arab Emirates but am a citizen of India. According to some online sources, I can't get the visa at a border post because I was born in the UAE, and other sources say that it's the nationality that counts and not the country of birth. Which is accurate?
I tried phoning both the INS as well as the State Dept, but all I got were generalized statements..... help, please!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential