• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1b visa holder filing tax with 1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? MA

I'm a H1b visa holder who comes from Japan.
My visa was supported by privious company and employer had deducted taxes from my salary at the time I was working for them.
But a few days ago, I received a check, 1099 form, and e-mail said," this is the check of your deducted tax, could you file tax by yourself?"

I'm afraid filing tax as a contractor cos I'm here to employed not to work as contract basis. Does this rock my visa status, too?

Please advise me
thank you.


Senior Member
Your employer can't do that.

Take your stuff to a tax professional who is familiar with International tax issues and tax treaties, and pay to have your taxes done. It will be money well spent.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential