• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1bIT engineer Full-time and International certified sport coach wishing to do part time coaching with H4EAD spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asiamgt

My Stats:H1B (IT engineer)-Full-time
My Wife: H4EAD

I am also very good at some sport. But I have not won any International/National competition. (Not qualified for EB1) But I am Internationally certified Sports Coach.(Not so Popular Sport in USA). I want to coach upcoming athletes of USA to get International Accolades via coaching.

My wife is planning to start a coaching club (Profit Oriented Business). Since I am the coach for the same sport. I can help setting up the business. Mainly for coaching. Rest of other business activity she can take care of it.

Here is the problem. I learn from my reading that I can't coach with any profit oriented(Company/Individual) despite that I will not charge(Volunteering) to my wife for coaching her students. In short I coach student and student pays to my wife or her company.

Here is the problem:

I learn that solution to this problem is to file H1b concurrent. For that She/Her company has to file petition for me. As per my calculation, She would make only 25K Profit Per Annum.

Below is my questions
1. Is my understanding correct that i can not help her in coaching due to my visa limitations ?
2 is H1b concurrent is possible for me? I wonder how this is possible as she don't have any business history. She would only earn 25K. Even she split to me. I may get hardly 15K per year. I really don't how to do that for such small business venture. Same time I will only work and and when she need me for coaching at the max 10 Hrs a week. But Sometimes i will not have any coaching in any week. If she files H1b Concurrent. So many legal obligations. Like she will to have to pay me irrespective coaching occurs or not. Very tricky situation.
3. is it worth doing this venture (filling H1b Concurrent)? Jeopardizing my case for just 25K+ ?
4. Is that possible that along with her company I start also Non Profit Body(own by me) and whatever earning i have from coaching (Charging students) i will spend it sponsoring bright students. (Buying equipments and take them to tournaments. I meant i will spend whatever I will earn. A real Non Profit Organization. )
5. Any other advise you wish to give me in this situation?

I cannot help you with your question but would advise that you talk to an immigration attorney first because the DHS is in the process of revoking the H4 visa class and they also now make the renewal of H1B visas more difficult. Any violation of the terms of a visa will be grounds for revocation or to deny a renewal.

Taken from the Times of India.

"A policy memorandum, dated June 28, 2018 which came into the public domain last week, permits the US Citizenship and Immigration Service
to issue “notices to appear” (NTA) in cases “whereupon denial of an application or petition, the applicant is ‘unlawfully present’ in the US”. Such a notice is the starting point for removal or deportation proceedings."

It's just that I would hate to see you put in so much time and effort only to have to walk away from it if your visa's come to an abrupt end.

t74

Your schemes are not possible while you are a guest worker. You can work for your wife once you have a green card. If you want to coach on this level, return to your home country to do so. Your employer may also take issue with you taking time he might need for this outside activity. You may volunteer for an organization for a position where all others are also volunteers. You will find children's sports programs looking for volunteers; whether they will allow you to participate is another question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">