• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

haeassment& hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i am a shop steward in our local union, and I have been asked by a fellow member for help in a situation, the member is being harassed by management because this union member did not have "relations" with this person of management, when approached. The member of management is also trying to get the union member turned in for abuse/neglect by bribing the people we care for into turning this person in. This is happening in Montana. I advised the union member to seek legal advice, I'm just not sure what I can do, our contract is pretty vague in this area.



You are right that the union member needs to seek legal assistance. The legal counsel she needs is to be provided by the union. Under federal law, the unions have a duty to fairly represent the interests of all the employees. What you have described is a classic case of sexual discrimination. I suggest you look at the following link for further discussion of this area of law. Go to freeadvice.com/law/533us.htm. Also, make sure the union member follows carefully all the union grievance procedures. Otherwise, this will come back to bite her.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential