• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handcuffed and detained in police car at Walmart!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I won't say it's impossible (because I simply don't know), but I would be astonished if LP reports to the store manager at Walmart.
I am honestly curious. Why do you think that Loss Prevention would NOT report to the store manager? It would seem to me to be a poor business model to have a separate little kingdom operating inside the store, that can dramatically impact the store and its customer service, and NOT have that separate little kingdom reporting to the store manager. You get the wrong person operating that little kingdom and you could have serious havoc going on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am honestly curious. Why do you think that Loss Prevention would NOT report to the store manager? It would seem to me to be a poor business model to have a separate little kingdom operating inside the store, that can dramatically impact the store and its customer service, and NOT have that separate little kingdom reporting to the store manager. You get the wrong person operating that little kingdom and you could have serious havoc going on.
From my little bit of searching, it appears that LP reports to the regional manager. I think that it's a better system because it frees up LP to target all possible points of loss (including internal).

LdiJ

From my little bit of searching, it appears that LP reports to the regional manager. I think that it's a better system because it frees up LP to target all possible points of loss (including internal).
Valid point. Well, then the OP could make a complaint to the regional manager...or the store manager could pass on a complaint to the regional manager as well. At least there is some, somewhat local oversight.

CdwJava

I can't say how it might be organized elsewhere, but my friend is the LP Supervisor at a local Wal-Mart and one of my sons worked LP there for a couple years while in college (he left for another job less than a year ago).

Loss Prevention does answer to the local managers here. While they also have a regional director they must report to, the store manager does have control over customer apprehensions and trespass notices. And, most contacts with those committing shoplifting or attempting some sort of fraud (as this appears to have been assumed to be) result in a trespass warning. Few contacts result in a call to the police, but even if they do, and no arrest is made, Wal-Mart tends to issue the notice all the same. I cannot recall a time when the police were called that a notice was NOT delivered even if no charges were requested or no case could be made.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can't say how it might be organized elsewhere, but my friend is the LP Supervisor at a local Wal-Mart and one of my sons worked LP there for a couple years while in college (he left for another job less than a year ago).

Loss Prevention does answer to the local managers here. While they also have a regional director they must report to, the store manager does have control over customer apprehensions and trespass notices. And, most contacts with those committing shoplifting or attempting some sort of fraud (as this appears to have been assumed to be) result in a trespass warning. Few contacts result in a call to the police, but even if they do, and no arrest is made, Wal-Mart tends to issue the notice all the same. I cannot recall a time when the police were called that a notice was NOT delivered even if no charges were requested or no case could be made.
Thanks for the clarification, C.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">