• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handgun laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kyleawick7

im 19 & live in the state of Ohio, I know having possession of a handgun is 18+ but can I legally carry the handgun in my car in the trunk as long as the ammunition is separate from the gun ?

quincy

im 19 & live in the state of Ohio, I know having possession of a handgun is 18+ but can I legally carry the handgun in my car in the trunk as long as the ammunition is separate from the gun ?
If you can legally possess a firearm, you can transport it anywhere in your vehicle if it is unloaded and properly stored. You cannot transport a loaded weapon in your vehicle if the weapon can be accessed by you without leaving your vehicle. Other conditions apply. You can read those conditions by accessing the information in the link below.

Here is a link to the law:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

Last edited:

quincy

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled 6 to 1 last year that a juvenile conviction can prevent that juvenile from legally owning a gun as an adult. Good for Ohio!

By the way, I should clarify for Kyleawick his "age 18+" statement. It is actually age 21+ for legal ownership of a handgun.

quincy

21 is the age to purchase a handgun. 18 is the age to own.
Furnishing a handgun to someone under the age of 21 is prohibited in Ohio. If an 18 year old cannot purchase a handgun or be provided with a handgun, how can he own a handgun?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps his dad handed it to him so that he could go to a firearms safety class?

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.21

EDIT: Oh, I see - we've veered in to hypothetical. Well, the same could apply. Perhaps mom furnished it to him as a gift on his 19th birthday so he could learn competitive marksmanship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">