• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California - I have a valid California handicap placard. I had taken my husband's car and left my placard in my car. I parked in a handicap spot and displayed my paperwork, which I must carry with me, on the dashboard. This has more information than the actual placard, placard #, my name, dates, etc. I received a ticket for over $300. I sent a copy of my placard and the paperwork that was displayed on the dash. The city of Long Beach did not waive the ticket. I appealed and had a hearing. I lost the hearing. I do not understand how I can be fined the same as if I did not even have a placard. This just does not seem right. What can I do at this point?


Senior Member
You can take the information from the hearing to the Long Beach Courthouse, pay $25 and to a parking appeal to the court (if you haven't already done so), however, you are asking someone to believe that YOU were driving the car, which you can't possibly prove. Having paperwork on the dashboard is not sufficient, that would be something that someone who DOESN'T have a disabled placard, but does have access to the paperwork would have.....


Senior Member
According to California law, only vehicles that display a valid disabled persons placard, disabled persons plates or disabled veterans plates can legally park in handicap parking places. The law does not say that displaying the paperwork is legal.

I do not understand how I can be fined the same as if I did not even have a placard.
There is a very big difference between own and display. On that day you did not have a placard to display.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential