• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handy-man small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Relogical

In short, I paid a handyman I found online $1200 to complete a list of jobs needed for a property inspection (I realized now I should of paid after the work was completed).

He completed at least 60% of the work before he decided to block my phone number and not responding to my messages. Roof work is needed to be done and a large portion of sticks was paid for to be placed infront of the home for pickup and he only placed 30% of it before I called him out about it. I know he blocked me because I called and it went to voicemail, while I called using my google voice number and it connected.. where he lied that his phone is messed up and that "he'll called me back" (probably just blocked that number). Now I'm out of money and a task that needed to be done.

I only have his first & last name and his phone number. Is it worth it to go through the process of filing a small claims to get majority of my money back? I read that I may have to pay for a private investigator to serve him papers physically.

I need assistance on the best route I should take here. I also live in Michigan if that may be any assistance. Thank you.

Just Blue

In short, I paid a handyman I found online $1200 to complete a list of jobs needed for a property inspection (I realized now I should of paid after the work was completed).

He completed at least 60% of the work before he decided to block my phone number and not responding to my messages. Roof work is needed to be done and a large portion of sticks was paid for to be placed infront of the home for pickup and he only placed 30% of it before I called him out about it. I know he blocked me because I called and it went to voicemail, while I called using my google voice number and it connected.. where he lied that his phone is messed up and that "he'll called me back" (probably just blocked that number). Now I'm out of money and a task that needed to be done.

I only have his first & last name and his phone number. Is it worth it to go through the process of filing a small claims to get majority of my money back? I read that I may have to pay for a private investigator to serve him papers physically.

I need assistance on the best route I should take here. I also live in Michigan if that may be any assistance. Thank you.
Even if you win in court you will still have to collect on the judgement. It's really up to you if you want to spend more $ with an uncertain chance of ever collecting.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The handyman fled with your money without completing the work. I think its about integrity and work ethics. Clearly this man didn't live up to them. If I would've sued him, if I were you! I don't care about the money. I care about the work. Perhaps, after filing a lawsuit, he may complete the work? Worth a short!
Really? What makes you think the OP WANTS the guy to complete the work at this point? Furthermore, your post is a bit nonsensical.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">