• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment by Looney Landlady

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Yes, you're all quite sick of me now, but here I am. We have an eviction hearing on June 22. We also have Legal Aid. Alas, they don't handle landlord harassment. Our landlady has taken up ringing our doorbell incessantly,(we have home surveillance cameras) then barraging us with angry texts and voicemails, because we are not home. Her latest tactic was to tape a notice to our door stating she is going to come in on June 15 to take photos. Her nut job ex husband already took photos the last time he was here. They just want to come in and yell at me, like they yelled at the other tenant today.

My son has a developmental disability and he was so unnerved by their behavior yesterday, he had to go to the emergency room with chest pains.

We are going to look at an apartment tomorrow.

Question is, what recourse do we have?

FarmerJ

excessive text and phone messages from her that are rude, unpleasant, threatening can be used by the police to either get her to stop or used toward charges being filed along with video footage. As to your son look into temporary respite care , your county social services should be able to give you names of group home firms that offer short term respite care as well as what other such as state run group homes there are for same thing, short term respite care. ( I know there is such a thing at least where I live because the group home firm I work at has such a thing with several part time clients as well as they also do short term care.

adjusterjack

According to your April thread you were given notice that your occupancy was terminated effective June 1 giving you at least a month to move out.

You disobeyed it and were served with eviction through the courts for which you have a hearing on June 22.

And you are just starting to look for an apartment tomorrow?

Frankly, I don't blame the landlady for making your life as miserable as possible for squatting past June 1. I don't see anything illegal (or criminal - so forget the police) about the tactics and would likely have done the same to a recalcitrant tenant when I was a landlord.

The solution to your trouble is to get out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">