• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment by police, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

florit0275

Indiana: & Illinois... I am from Indiana but this happened in Illinois.

About myself:
I am a 19 year old white male from Indianapolis, Indiana.

I need to know what I can do about this case, and what I can obtain from this.
Any advice any of you can offer, I posted this in two forums, Civil Rights and Traffic Violation. I apologize if that was the wrong thing to do.

Situation: I was in Chicago with my friend, meeting his family and just having a small vacation from work.

Was driving in downtown chicago when a car came up the right side (parking lane) illegally, cut me off, then got in left turn lane, It was a 1990 Crown Vic

i looked at him like are u serious? i look behind me and he had come up on me, and begins flashing his brights,
his normal lights had a right light out I THINK, Siren sounded cheap as heck

I stopped at the side of the road for 30 seconds to a minute.. he didnt do anything so i drove off
thinking it was a false cop trying to hijack (bad part of town)

(I have a car on 22" spinning rims, easy to profile)

Followed by the car with light out no blue or red lights, no police plates, guy had red shirt no badge, cop did not have his uniform,
before they came to the window, I saw the officers putting on their kevlar
pulled gun on me, threw me against my car,

Ripped my buddy out (guns almost pointed ON our heads)
Pushed us into my car so hard that they dented it,
Damaged my door handle... etc.

They had followed me for about 3 or 4 minutes swerving and could have gotten beside me.
(said i would have run him off the road when i asked him why he didnt get beside me)

Followed me for 3 or 4 blocks, I had seen real police lights ahead so i drove toward them... Going 10 miles an hour

Ripped me out of my car, cuffed me too tight, Swore innsessantly at me...

DID NOT READ ME MY RIGHTS AT ANY POINT DURING THE ARREST

Threw me in the back of a car with no cage, and no child locks,

Slammed my buddy Jesse into the car, hurt his surgically fixed knee
Cuffs scratched my paint

Cop when i was in his car... ran up and kicked my rims (witnesses Dave and his sister, and jesse to all of this)
they were spinning my spinners and making fun of my car

Searched my car.. ripped out my dash in the process breaking my AC, messing up my upper console, broke my temperature and compass console, broke my handle, unplugged all of my car audio equipment and tampering with the wires, as a result my equipment was damaged. Dented car, scratched paint and also dented trim, broke headlight somehow, random dents appeared after arrest, rims badly messed with, dented, and dont spin right anymore.

jesse was searched by girl who for lack of better way of putting it, searched him and touched his genitals,

Continued to swear insessantly, told my i was retarded etc. etc. lots of the F word.

During the search they found my pellet gun, tried to drop the clip thinking it was a real gun, said "DANGIT" thinking they had me.

Found no drugs or anything besides the gun that was illegal, even though in MY state it is legal.

During the search, small amounts of money were stolen and my gift cards were stolen... a Best Buy, Cheesecake factory, Autozone, and Barnes & Noble Giftcards were also stolen from my wallet.

I asked the reason for my arrest, cop didn't respond, I asked again a few minutes later and I was informed that it was because of my pellet gun..

He wouldn't tell me why he had pulled me over

I was then driven to jail, where i stayed for a bit over an hour.

the police DROVE MY CAR to the precinct, driving over a mediun, going at least 60-70 in a 30 cutting off traffic and hitting MASSIVE Potholes, also resulting in further damage to my rims.
DRIVING IT HARD.

got there.. they started treating me well. Did not finger print me, I was just asked to take the laces out of my shoes and put everything but my billed money into a bag.

Later the cop came back, told me I was able to leave jail with 2 citations.
1. for Obstruction of view because of a TV I had in my car
2. For use of a cell phone while driving... My friend was about to call the POLICE while this was happening but didn't know whether to call 911 so he decided not to, I DID NOT use my cell phone while operating my vehicle.

NO MENTION of why I was arrested, ("the gun")

And as if that wasn't enough messing with me for a day, they took my battery out of my keyless entry alarm system, and I had to sit outside of the precinct while the 3 witnesses (who had met me there) went to go buy me another battery, because they said they couldn't give me one and said they didn't take it. I had to sit out in a bad part of town, Precinct 22 to be exact in downtown chicago with dave's sister (my buddy who i was following this whole time) being harassed by people and fearing for my life.

The witnesses ALL stood and watched the ENTIRE process and are willing to testify.

I am extremely stressed with this whole situation. I cannot believe even now that this happened to me. This happened on september 3rd, at about 1:00 A.M. to about 3:00 A.M. I will likely be seeing a psychiatrist. My friend is also going to file, as he has an injury as a result, and was harassed by the female officer.

There is more to the story that I have probably forgotten, but I wrote it all down.

False Imprisonment,
Civil Rights violation, (they are required to read me miranda?)
Harassment,
Assault & Battery,
Theft

What else do I have on the officers? And do I even have those violations?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, I have spoken with lawyers that tell me I have a case but not sure what to do.

Help guys, sorry about the length of the post!

-Jason

pojo2

>>Advice would be greatly appreciated, I have spoken with lawyers that tell me I have a case but not sure what to do<<

Get real, I thought the post full of a lot of things exaggerated to make you look better but it took the last line to really convince me I was right.

Do you expect anyone here to believe this crap when you say that lawyer(S) have told you they are not sure what to do?

Kid that's what a lawyer is for and you indicate by the 'S' it was more than one Atty.

You either are the unluckiest kid alive or ran into a bunch of incompetent lawyers!

racer72

False Imprisonment,
False imprisonment means being held by someone that does not have the authority, police have the authority.

Civil Rights violation, (they are required to read me miranda?)
You watch too much TV. Miranda is only required prior to questioning.

Harassment,
Not even close.

Assault & Battery
Prove it.

Of what???

Gather up some cash and see an attorney.

F

florit0275

Im glad i joined an advice forum and the only thing I get is a bunch of *******s who don't know what they are talking about. This forum should be shut down, from what I've read not a single person has recieved any amount of help or advice from it. Grow up people don't pounce on people because we aren't as knowledgeable as you. It isn't our fault that you get your life's pleasures from flaming people on a forum.

F

florit0275

pojo, i apologize, what i meant by the statement is that I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO, not the lawyers, the lawyers all said I have a good case.

Funny how that works i figured more input would be needed, all I got here was rudeness.

Last edited:
F

florit0275

Also, they were asking me questions, not sure if they apply but before asking me what i was doing in this part of town, why i am here, how i payed for the car, why I didnt pull over, all this other stuff I thought they were supposed to read me my rights.

I think 3 witnesses are decent proof are they not? I know people who have gone into a case like this with NO witnesses, won, and the case was settled

Lets try to offer me some real advice instead of assuming I'm a moron.

And for those of you who flame people for being insufficient spellers, just keep in mind that Einstein couldn't spell his own name.

C

Caljamscott

I'm not a lawyer. All I said was I don't like spinning wheelies. That's all I said. I can't offer you any bona fide legal advice.

Last edited:

pojo2

You have a Lawyer listen to him/here. No one here has all the story and the one we have is greatly embellished at best.

Curt581

Everything you described was legal, except this:

florit0275 said:
Threw me in the back of a car with no cage, and no child locks
ALL squad cars are required to have child locks. That's going to get the entire case thrown out.

F

florit0275

Wow that's interesting, I spoke with a few of my city police today about the incident and they told me that the chicago police didn't do ANYTHING RIGHT.

You tell me everything they did was legal. I'm so glad I came here.

florit0275 said:
Wow that's interesting, I spoke with a few of my city police today about the incident and they told me that the chicago police didn't do ANYTHING RIGHT.

Hey Curt, I think you will have to slow down or write clues (aka: sarcasm), because I think this went straight over his head. Amazing, huh?

By the way.... Loved the post. A patrol car without child locks.... How dare they!

BelizeBreeze

florit0275 said:

Ya sure. And the moon is made of cheese.

A punk and a liar. What next? :rolleyes:

florit0275 said:
Indiana: & Illinois... I am from Indiana but this happened in Illinois.

About myself:
I am a 19 year old white male from Indianapolis, Indiana. I need to know what I can do about this case, and what I can obtain from this.
Jason,

Nobody here knows for sure what induced cops to deal with you as they did. It is not unheard of for officers to pull some wierd stuff. They are just humans, like anyone else, and can get scrambled in the same way. Your legal recourse is just what you have done, getting compitent legal representation and going through proceedures ahead. Beyond that, your psychology will need some tending. It's a real pain, I am sure, to begin your adult life with a bad experience like this, but the learning about how harsh representatives of the system can be is what you "can obtain from this". Could be you will have to weigh the fun of being a high-profile target, with spinners and such, against the advantages of blending into the crowd. I was 65 and driving a mini-van when violated by a rogue deputy, and even had a federal judge in the car with me at the time. None of that helps, on a lonely road and in the presence of an armed fool. You simply have to settle into full awareness of the times and the people forming our environment....even mean-spirited posters on an advice board. Get through this with your sanity in tact, and chances are you will fare much better for long stretches of time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

This is "Caljamscott"

Caljamscott said:
Personally I HATE those spinning rims :mad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: (AP) Ontario, CA: Police Arrest Man at Ontario Museum

(AP) 28 January 2001 - Sheriff's deputies were called to the Ontario Museum of History and Art Monday, after a mentally ill man refused to leave until his collection of radio tapes were put on display. Officials say Scott A. Lifshine of New York entered the museum around 1 o'clock, carrying a shopping bag full of reel-to-reel tapes and video cassettes. Lifshine, 42, claimed to be the only person on earth in possession of recordings of the momentous "California Jam" concert, that took place at the Ontario Motor Speedway in the 1970's. When told that his tapes were not rare, or relevant to the museum's exhibits, Lifshine became angry and refused to leave.
Deputy Ronald Juerst described Lifshine as a man with "several mental illnesses," who has a history of confrontations in public places in New York. Records show Lifshine was evaluated following an arrest in 1981. He is described as a "paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur." He told sheriff’s department interviewers that he is the "greatest rock star and movie star in the world," and that he "controls all Internet newsgroups." Newsgroups are bulletin boards available online which cover thousands of topics. Lifshine carried an I.D. card that lists his home address as a halfway house for the mentally ill in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Lifshine was released to his wife Monday afternoon, who noted that he had not taken his medication for three days -- a factor which may have led to his outburst. No one was hurt during the incident.
Source: http://www.collectingbanter.com/printthread.php?t=232

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">