• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment, defamation and falsely accused.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Residing in Utah.

My girlfriends mother hates me because I am not LDS Mormon and don't go to a church. She falsely accused me of molestation of her three year old's vagina without any evidence. The Division of Child and Family Service opened a case and interviewed all the relevant people except the accuser. The case is being closed as there is no evidence of wrong doing because I didn't do anything of the sort to that child. She did this because she simply doesn't like me and wants control over her daughters life and I am threatening that control. What are my rights? How can I defend myself against future harassment and false accusations? Other than her mother calling and saying she lied is there a way to get the record of this accusation deleted from the record? Because even though there are no charges I know that accusations stick around forever. If no one can offer any advise then please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

quincy

Thank you for providing ages.

You can have a cease and desist letter drafted by an attorney and sent to the mother advising her that, if the harmful lies continue, you will consider pursuing legal action against her.

The CPS records should remain confidential.

You might want to think about how life will be for you if you continue your relationship with your girlfriend. Having a partner's parent hate you to the extent your girlfriend's mom hates you is a pretty good sign that your relationship will be rocky and likely to fail in the long run.

I don't have an attorney and frankly can't afford one.
Do I need to have the cease and desist letter drafted by an attorney?

quincy

I don't have an attorney and frankly can't afford one.
Do I need to have the cease and desist letter drafted by an attorney?
No, you do not need an attorney to write for you a cease and desist letter. You can write your own letter.

Cease and desist letters have no force of law behind them so the mother can ignore the letter and toss it in the trash, regardless of who writes it.

The benefit to having an attorney write and send it is that the recipient then understands that you have already consulted with an attorney and the threat of legal action is possibly more than an idle threat.

Good luck.

My girlfriend is doing the same. She is cutting all contact off with her mother because she is obviously dangerous.
Her mother has a history of doing things like this except to our knowledge she has never taken it this far.
We are in the process of trying to get a protective order and we are calling the police anytime she comes around as it is harassment.

quincy

My girlfriend is doing the same. She is cutting all contact off with her mother because she is obviously dangerous.
Her mother has a history of doing things like this except to our knowledge she has never taken it this far.
We are in the process of trying to get a protective order and we are calling the police anytime she comes around as it is harassment.
It sounds like you are doing what you need to do, then. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">