• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment From Below

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

webmaster

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I live in the upper level of a duplex and neighbors below have been harassing me for months by blaring the TV suddenly and hitting the ceiling at all hours. I have yet to get some sleep. It started when they moved in and this guy with no job had his video games blaring 24 hours a day. I tried to get them to stop and they ignored me and started doing things on purpose. Then I told the landlord and this guy and now he's really mad and he's been pounding around non-stop now. He's even gone in the basement and cut the electricity on and off quick messing up my computer. What's so dumb is that I'm perfectly silent and anyone else who moves in will be 100 times more noisier than me. I have no idea why they don't get that. I don't want to call the police because he's quite nuts and I just know he'll make something up about me. Its my word against him and his girlfriend. I just don't have the money to move but I must as its affecting my health and my work. Is there anyway to hold the landlord responsible? What else can I do?

Last edited:

JETX

webmaster said:
I don't want to call the police because he's quite nuts and I just know he'll make something up about me.
First, you are going to have to grow some balls or ovaries or whatever is appropriate. Start calling the police if the noise is consistent and unreasonable. At the same time, you are going to have to start documenting the incidents... time, date, description, what you did to remedy, etc.
Then, after you have enough documents, send them (certified RRR) to your landlord with a DEMAND that they protect your 'right to peaceful enjoyment' of the premises you have leased. Give them a specific amount of time to remedy THEIR problem.

Its my word against him and his girlfriend.
Then set up your videocamera or whatever and start documenting the incidents.

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

Start your paper trail NOW by sending a complaint to your landlord in writing via certified, return receipt requested (CRRR) mail. Detail exactly what goes on, without emotion or embellishment (no offense meant) and see what happens from there. Does your lease contain a clause about quiet enjoyment of the property? Ask your landlord, also in writing CRRR to lock the breaker/fuse box for your apartment but make sure he gives you a key to it in case you need to access it.

I'm sure the lawyers who post here will have other great advice for you but that's a place for you to start. Good luck!

webmaster

I Do Have Balls!

JETX said:
First, you are going to have to grow some balls or ovaries or whatever is appropriate. Start calling the police if the noise is consistent and unreasonable. At the same time, you are going to have to start documenting the incidents... time, date, description, what you did to remedy, etc.
Then, after you have enough documents, send them (certified RRR) to your landlord with a DEMAND that they protect your 'right to peaceful enjoyment' of the premises you have leased. Give them a specific amount of time to remedy THEIR problem.

Then set up your videocamera or whatever and start documenting the incidents.

I've knocked on their door several times and the guy refuses to come out. He justs sits in there silent. He never even leaves at all now because he's the balless one who won't face me. I have no idea why he keeps provoking me if he's to scared to face me.

BL

So , you write the Fact that you have knocked on the door MANY times to talk to / request the neighbor to lower the LOUD noise , but the neighbor refuses to answer , to your Landlord in that return receipt certified letter , and DEMAND the landlord rectify the matter , as you HAVE a RIGHT to peace,quiet , and Enjoyment of the Premises you pay rent for .

Also , Call the Police each and every time the Noise is excessive .

Where I live , If the Police can here noise 50 ft. beyond the Property line , they First give a warning , 2nd offense in the same day - a ticket , 3rd -Arrest .

Talk to your Local Police to see what the Policy is for your Area .

Most Landlords won't/can't evict until there is a record with the Police because otherwise , it's just your word without proof .

You need to obtain some kind of record of the Loud Noise , but defiantly keep writing the Land Lord with complaints and Demands in the meantime , and keep Copies .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">