• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state?

new york

I am afraid my ex-fiance is going to try and have me arrested for harassment, although he has been harassing me.

We broke off our engagement almost a year ago. At that time, I was really upset with him and sent him an email stating that him breaking off the engagement was not very nice, to me nor my son. That he should grow up. Nothing threatening, I just expressed my feelings. Then I sent him a bill for all the expenses I laid out $1500. He never returned my message, and therefore, I just dropped it and wrote off my losses.

Here it is a year later, and he has been harassing me lately, looking into my activities and if I sign up for a club activity, he knows about it. He is invading my personal private life. I consulted with the police, because I don't want to be bothered by this man. They told me to inform him either in writing or the next time he calls, to stop harassing me or I will press charges. I did this, now, I am afraid of the reprecusions.

He is a real quack and he might take this a step further and try to have me arrested for harassment by sending him this letter.

Can you be arrested for informing someone to stop harassing you. I never tried to contact him for the entire year except for this.

I would appreciate any input or advice. thanks. :(


Senior Member
Unless he has obtained a restraining order against you, you can send him a letter without repercussions. Just keep everything straight to the point and make no threats that cannot be carried out. You may wish to obtain a restraining order yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential