• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Se7enzQueen

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I worked for a non-profit company called Citizens Action Coalition in Summer of 2002. We had to travel to a different city to try to collect signatures on a petition. When I went with the group, we didn't get done until about 9:00 PM. After we got done, and were supposed to be on our way back home, the group decided to stop at a lake and swim. There was another team who was also in the area we were in, but they were in a different vehicle, and my fiance was with them. I asked the group I was with to call the other group and tell them I wanted to ride back with them because I didn't want to go swimming. The group I was with never called the other group. There were three other people besides myself, and they went to some dark woods, and back to a creek to swim. It was one man and two other females. I was 17 at the time. All three of the people I was with stripped down to their underclothes and went swimming in the lake, and left me sitting on a log in the middle of the woods, alone. I was scared and alone, and about three hours away from home. The man was supposed to be a lead for the company. I started to write a letter as soon as it happened, but didn't go through with it. Do I have a case?

JETX

And what EXACTLY does your post have to do with hiring and firing??
Or even harassment??

Last edited:

Beth3

Are you suggesting it was some sort of harassment that you had to sit on a log while the others went swimming? No, it wasn't. Your situation is an excellent example of why 17 year olds shouldn't be accepting employment of this type however. It's barely a step above selling magazine subscriptions.

S

Se7enzQueen

I'm sorry. I must have posted in the wrong forum. I am not suggesting that sitting on a log was harassment. I am suggesting that the people I was with getting almost naked and swimming when I asked them to let me go home, because that was where we were supposed to be, while the man was supposed to be a supervisor is harassment. Maybe you are right. Maybe I should not have accepted the job, and I did not. That was a test date. I had no idea what I was to be doing, it was never explained to me, and when I learned what it was, I told them I would not take the job. I just asked a question. There is no need to be rude and judgemental. I made it short because that is what the forum asked me to do. What if you were interviewing for a job and they took you to somewhere you didn't know and got naked and swam in the middle of the woods, and you had no idea who these people were.

Beth3

"What if you were interviewing for a job and they took you to somewhere you didn't know and got naked and swam in the middle of the woods, and you had no idea who these people were." I'd have been scared and frightened too, although I would have hoped I wouldn't have accepted a job like this to begin with or that my parents would have prohibited it.

In any case, they didn't get naked - they kept their underwear on. Whether they were naked or not, it's STILL not harassment. In order for it to be prohibited harassment, they'd have had to been behaving this way BECAUSE of your gender, which was not the case. They were behaving this way because they didn't care a bit about the sensitivities of a teenagerthey were travelling with, which is not illegal.

This situation could have been a lot worse and perhaps even had tragic consequences. You were lucky. NEVER accept this type of job or anything similar again. Before you start any job ever, you need to be sure you know exactly what it entails and what you will be required to do. Chalk this up to an unpleasant learning experience and be a lot wiser next time. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">