• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hardship withdrawl

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdvvm

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have an old 401k plan from my previous company that is managed by a large company. I am getting dangerously close to having to go bankruptcy or default on a mortgage. Does anyone know if I can make a hardship withdrawl in certain circumstances without sever penalty and taxes?

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you cannot. That is, you cannot do so without a penalty and taxes.

If this is with a previous employer, not your current one, you can cash out the whole thing; it is not necessary to take a hardship withdrawal. In fact, since this is not with your current employer, I believe your only option, if you want part of it, is to take all of it. But there are NO circumstances under which you can take part or all of a 401k plan early without paying taxes, and I was recently made aware that penalties apply to hardship withdrawals as well. So while you can access the money, you will still have to pay penalties and taxes.

Zephyr

cbg said:
No, you cannot. That is, you cannot do so without a penalty and taxes.

If this is with a previous employer, not your current one, you can cash out the whole thing; it is not necessary to take a hardship withdrawal. In fact, since this is not with your current employer, I believe your only option, if you want part of it, is to take all of it. But there are NO circumstances under which you can take part or all of a 401k plan early without paying taxes, and I was recently made aware that penalties apply to hardship withdrawals as well. So while you can access the money, you will still have to pay penalties and taxes.
I could be wrong, so slap my wrist if you need to, aren't there some items that "lessen" the penalty or the tax when pulling money from a retirement account? such as education or a home? just asking

Beth3

Nope.

The 10% early withdrawal penalty when someone takes a hardship withdrawal is only waived if it's for a medical emergency or if the participant is 59-1/2 years of age or older.

acmb05

You have one more option

You can take out a loan on your 401k. This will have to paid back into it monthly but you will not incur any penalties this way. If I am not mistaken your loan limit is half of what your 401k balance is.

acmb05

well of course

pattytx said:
Assuming, of course, that the plan has such a provision. And if it does, the amount is limited to whatever the plan rules say.
I was only suggesting another alternative to look into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">