• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrasing neighbors and permits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pooh81394

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

2 months ago my husband was putting up a fence when the female neighbor next door came over and started yelling at my husband about the fence and then went on a tangent about everything else. My small children where outside and she made them cry. I made copies for her of the land surveyours plot that we paid for to show her this was our land. Once the fence was completed she purposely started beeping her horn every morning at 6am to wake myself and my children. I asked her to stop but when she wouldn't I went to the police. The police told me there was no formal complaint I could file but he would talk to them. He did talk to them 2 weeks ago and the beeping stopped BUT today we received a certified letter from the city that someone "annonmously" sent them a letter that we never got permits for our pool, deck and furnance. These neighbors are making my life unbearable and I have not been able to sleep for a week. Do we need permits for an above ground pool? The furnace was just a replacemetn of the exiting one so is a permit needed for this and the deck was also a replacemrnt for the old rotted one. What are my legal rights with the neighbors and the permits?

If you really want to piss off your neighbor build a bigger fence.
WHEN DO I NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?

You need to obtain a building permit for new construction or altering existing construction. You generally do not have to obtain a building permit to make repairs, although there are exceptions to this rule. Additions, finishing an attic or basement, or changing interior walls are examples of alterations that require a building permit. A wood-burning stove or an indoor hot tub may also require a building permit. In addition exterior additions such as a deck, pool, fence, shed, or garage may require a building permit. The following type of work often needs a building permit:

New construction
Alteration of an existing building
An addition to an existing building
Change in use of a building
Cutting of part or all of a wall or partition
Removal or cutting of any structural beam or bearing support
Removal or change of any required means of egress
Work affecting structural or fire safety
Work that increases the non conformity of an existing building
Work that affects public health or safety

A permit shall be obtained before installation of an inground and/or aboveground pool of 24 or more inches deep.

Application for permit shall be accompanied by a sketch showing location of the proposed pool on the house lot in reference to lot lines, buildings, septic tank and absorption field and well.

Sideyard and rearyard setback requirement is 15’ and must be figured from the lot line to the pool apron. Also any wetlands or buffer area must be noted on the sketch.

Distance requirements of pool to Septic Tank – 20’.

Distance requirements of pool to Absorption Field – per NH Code of Administrative Rules, Section Env-Ws 1008.04, Table 1008-2b. In ground swimming pools shall not be located within 35 feet downslope of an effluent disposal area and in no case closer than 10 feet.

No distance requirement of above ground pools to tank or absorption field.

If distance to the lot lines is uncertified and is questionable by 5’+/-, the Building Inspector shall require a certification plan.

pooh81394

Then I guess I will be owing the city some cash that I dont have rite now all because my neighbors are nasty creatures! Do you know what the city can do since we did not obtain these permits?

msiron

You will just have to pay for the permit, the inspector will come and inspect, (insuring it meets local code) and that's it.... and lastly... go after that witch with a vengeance. I'd crucify her.

pooh81394

The kicker to all this is that the neighbor owns his own "handyman" buisness and he is the one who put in our deck! Can I sue him for not getting the proper permits? He should have known, rite? What about if it is not up to code can I sue him for that and the cost to repair it up to code? How do I find out the codes for my specific state/city?

msiron

Very simple. Go to your city/town hall or permit bldg. tell them you need a permit for a deck, also tell them that you found out the contractor who built it did not get a permit.

Take permit papers home and fill out then return with the fee. There is a area on the permit application which asks if you are performing the work yourself, put NO, then it will ask who is, put the contractors info... fill it in with your neighbors name etc...

The inspector will come out and if there are any issues with codes you will find out. Oh and tell the inspector how this ass does allot of work without pulling permits. They may be very interested in that especially if he is state licensed.

pooh81394

How can I find out if he is state licensed? I went to the betterbuisneesbureau.com and did not locate him and cannot seem to find where to locate a state licensed contractor online. I appreciate your help since I have not slept since this all came down.

msiron

I'm assisting you strictly to bust his ass.

For example MA has this license database
http://license.reg.state.ma.us/pubLic/licque.asp?color=blue

A license in NH for a handyman/carpenter does not appear to be required by NH but if he did any kind of electrical work then he might fall under electrician (performing electrical without a license) legal or not I have no clue.
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/licertoccs/occ_index.html

If you give me his name, addy etc I can do a little searching.

Call the IRS and tell them you paid him cash which he probably did not declare and state you overheard him bragging about it.

Last edited:

pooh81394

Thank you! I believe the company name is: GB & Sons Handymen but his name is:
Eugene Burrill
Nashua, NH
I actually found pictures I had taken of him building the deck but must have deleted them and only have them as "thumbprints" and cannot make them any larger! UGH!

kat1963

pooh81394 said:
Thank you! I believe the company name is: GB & Sons Handymen but his name is:
Eugene Burrill
Nashua, NH
I actually found pictures I had taken of him building the deck but must have deleted them and only have them as "thumbprints" and cannot make them any larger! UGH!

What does your contract with him state? Does it specifically state that GB& Sons will pull the permits? Frankly I don’t see how nailing this guy to the wall will equate into anything more then a showdown with yet another neighbor. Your most serious problem is the newly constructed fence that your own husband built.
KAT

pooh81394

I am not looking to nail him I just am not going to take the blame for him not pulling the permits. I found out today from the city that any contractor that performs a service for money (deck, pool etc..) must either inform the client a permit must be obtained and not perform the work until this is done OR obtain the permit themselves. HE should have done this since he is a contractor and was paid. Also, the fence did not require a permit so that was not a problem. However we have to meet with the city again in a few weeks and will be paying fines and had to apply for all the permits today. Not too sure of the out come yet. I did not turn them into the city they turned us in and they are the ones who performed the work so i am not too sure how you feel I am trying to nail him. I just want to correct this and have him liabile for what he knew and did not do. I was looking for legal advice since this is why the site is here not trying to look for ways to nail him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">