• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrasment by landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simsy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI
Me , My cousin and my mother rent an apartment and are behind on the rent a month and a half ($800) The landlord has visited my mother 3 times at work about the due rent she works in a convenient store and the landlord usually causes a scene without buying anything. The Landlord even entered the apartment without consent and said I shouldn't keep my doors unlocked and started banging on the wall of my bathroom ( with my cousin inside ) yelling "what you no pay the rent" my cousin then went to his room and the landlord followed banging on the door screaming the same and then left. I didn't want to call the cops because the landlord could then break the rental agreement. Is their any legal recourse I could follow for these incidents. Can I pursue any monetary damages for harassment , unlawful entry, and trying to collect a debt at a public workplace?
Thanks Dave

Gail in Georgia

Umm...how about paying the rent you owe. I'm betting the landlord will simmer down quite a bit then.

Seriously, the landlord needs to stop demanding the rent verbally and begin the process of eviction for all three of you.

Gail

Mad-As-Heck!

You need to keep records of the harrasment. The landlord may have even begun the eviction process, so calling the police probably will not hurt you at this point. The eviction process takes a long time, I would try to get the money together and pay her so you don't destroy your credit.

Also regarding Gails comment:
People write these posts to get advice, why do you keep criticising everyone?? I don't get it. The economy is tough right now, and people are struggling. Yes they should pay their rent on time, but no they do not deserve to be insulted.

BL

You need to keep records of the harrasment. The landlord may have even begun the eviction process, so calling the police probably will not hurt you at this point. The eviction process takes a long time, I would try to get the money together and pay her so you don't destroy your credit.

Also regarding Gails comment:
People write these posts to get advice, why do you keep criticising everyone?? I don't get it. The economy is tough right now, and people are struggling. Yes they should pay their rent on time, but no they do not deserve to be insulted.
It's called constructive criticism , look the definition up , if what you read can even be called criticism .

Landlord tenant Law is a business , period .

Not a charity . It's the landlord's discretion , if he/she is willing to work with the back rent , or not .

The correct advice is to pay the rent on time for the rental of the unit , or the LL can keep demanding the rent .

Having said that , the landlord has no right to unlawful entries , or constant harassment .

Police can be called .

The tenant's employer could bar the landlord from coming on their property making as seen .

That's the employer's decision .

Last edited:

simsy

We just got an agreement today for back rent at district court. I think this was the original question.
Can I pursue any monetary damages for harassment , unlawful entry, and trying to collect a debt at a public workplace?
Do I need to give somebody a retainer for this type of question?
@Mad-As-Heck! - Thanks people like that are not even worth the time and people who need to correct others grammar really need a hug.

Shay-Pari'e

The people that are living in my house for free are not worth my time either, that's why we are evicting them.

1. She needs to give you notice, then she CAN enter her property.

2. She can knock on her door every day and ask where her money is, but she cannot harrass anyone .

3. You will look foolish in court trying to sue her, I promise you that. Then she can evict you. Not worth going down that path.

Shay-Pari'e

We just got an agreement today for back rent at district court. I think this was the original question.
Can I pursue any monetary damages for harassment , unlawful entry, and trying to collect a debt at a public workplace?
Do I need to give somebody a retainer for this type of question?
@Mad-As-Heck! - Thanks people like that are not even worth the time and people who need to correct others grammar really need a hug.
You were able to get a hearing within hours? WOW! Amazing.:rolleyes:

simsy

try going through a mediator in a small state like RI. Four people outside in the hallway and a mediator who writes down a simple contract that gets approved by the judge. about two and a half hours in the court building. they should have a drive through window.

Alaska landlord

We just got an agreement today for back rent at district court. I think this was the original question..
And I just know the LL jumped at the chance to enter into another agreement with you. I know that after the outcome of your rental agreement and your ability to keep your agreement he was more than eager to try it again.

I would have started the eviction process 1.5 months ago.

Gail in Georgia

No; you're just folks who don't pay your rent and then wonder why your landlord gets upset with you.

I always try to be flexible with many tenants who post on forums such as these because many have never owned a piece of property in their life. Therefore, they have no knowledge about mortgage payments, insurance payments, taxes; things that landlords MUST pay.

Instead many assume that landlords must be fall into the category of social worker, ever present, able and willing to forego and forgive tenants who can't/won't/don't see the need to pay.

Was your landlord wrong for hollering at you about the rent? Certainly. Instead, they should have taken the professional route; posted a 3 or 5 day "Pay or Leave" notice the day you were late on your rent and when you failed to address this, gone ahead and filed for eviction on you.

The irony of all of this is that you are over a month late on your rent and you'd like to know if your landlord should pay you for not doing their job (i.e., evicting you).

Gail

Shay-Pari'e

yeah she did, because we are not horrible people like you slumlords rent out to.
I am a slum lord? I have a beautiful house that I rented out. The con living in our home has not paid rent in 4 months.

Let me tell you what will happen to you if your landlord is smart. She will have a process server post you a 3 day notice, (Documented). She will then have her attorney handle the rest. I just had to pay property tax on that house also. So we have been paying two mortgages, and now we have to clean up after the scum. So all together, we are 10 grand down, and the only satisfaction that we have is that his eviction will be on his credit report, right along with the judgement. (He was even ordered to pay our attorney fees).

Yep, I'm a slum lord.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">