• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pietenpol

Debt was incurred in California....I now reside for last 3 years in Ohio.

I found this forum searching the creditor number 1-800-884-0860. I believe this is an old credit card debt that I haven't taken care of yet. The company has been calling lately 'Jim Rodgers' some guy with an Indian accent kind of hard to understand. The last call I have on answering machine has him telling me that there will be trouble if I don't get back to them and that I have the number and I know how to dial a phone so I should call. They have also left messages with my father, my brothers, and my landlord. Same person leaving his name and number to call. My landlord has been called at least 3 times this week. Is this acceptable practice or not?

Debt Guy

If they cannot locate you, which apparently they cannot, the CA is allowed to call neighbors, relatives, etc. in an attempt to locate you.

They cannot discuss your debt with a 3rd party.

You can download and read a copy of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at www.ftc.gov. I encourage you to do this. It is not hard to read and understand and will tell you what is permitted behavior and what is forbidden behavior for a collection agency.

Ladynred

But they HAVE located him, they have his phone number and left messages and likely have his correct mailing address. They are attempting embarrass him into calling them back. You are in no way obligated to call them back or talk to them for any reason.

Have you pulled your credit reports lately to find out who it is ??

Debt Guy

Well, maybe I did not say it quite right. If they are calling and he does not answer or return the call, then they don't know that they have the right number. So, I think the law allows further effort to locate. That was his question -- is this permitted?

I agree they will embarass him if they think it will work. Unfortunately, he has created this situation since he won't confirm they have a good number. If he just one time spoke to them or wrote them a letter and told them the phone number, then they would have no valid reason to continue efforts to locate.

cbassrules

pietenpol said:
Debt was incurred in California....I now reside for last 3 years in Ohio.

I found this forum searching the creditor number 1-800-884-0860. I believe this is an old credit card debt that I haven't taken care of yet. The company has been calling lately 'Jim Rodgers' some guy with an Indian accent kind of hard to understand. The last call I have on answering machine has him telling me that there will be trouble if I don't get back to them and that I have the number and I know how to dial a phone so I should call. They have also left messages with my father, my brothers, and my landlord. Same person leaving his name and number to call. My landlord has been called at least 3 times this week. Is this acceptable practice or not?

i googled the number b/c i just got done dealing with them. these people ARE NOT legit. i had a bank one debt from a debit/checking card, the total debt according to bank one was 175 dollars. these guys at the number called and said they were going to sue me and that my debt was 1000+ dollars. my lawyer said don't deal with them, i gave the money to bank one and didn't deal with any collection agency (they're all crooked). when they repeatedly called i said i would fax the reciept of my payment of the debt and i reported them to the attorney general of ohio and new jersey. (i'm from ohio as well, they claimed to be located in new jersey) and they never called again. these guys are a sham, they got my whole debt and account number off the internet (which is common for these crooks) and tried to enlarge the debt by over 800 dollars! they claimed to be a law office under the title of attorney hecker and kept saying they were going to sue which they couldn't. they were not contracted in anyway by bank one and are basically criminals hoping to scare you into giving them money that's a far greater sum than what your true debt is. bottom line is these guys probably found your debt on the internet, apparntly the info is all over, and got to you before the collection agency that was contracted by who you owe the debt to found you, here's who you're dealing with though

Laurence A Heckler, Attorny at Law
650 College Road East Suite 1800
Prinston NJ 08540
609-779-6600
Fax 609-779-6619
Toll free 800-884-0860

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">