• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassed by phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

augdog74

I live in Iowa and posted a message about a year ago regarding a collection agency. In August of 2003, I sent a certified letter to Stewart & Associates requesting validation of a credit card debt. I also requested that all attempts to contact me, be via mail. I had a phone call on my machine today, saying that I had to immediately contact them. She also said it had to be done before the 28th of May. What are my rights and what can I do?

Ladynred

If they haven't validated, the call is in violation of the FDCPA. As for the 5/28 'deadline' - its the end of the month, collectors have quotas to make so they turn up the pressure so they can get those bonus Burger King coupons !

Ladynred

NO, do not call them, they will only attempt to turn the screws and will certainly deny they had any knowledge of your validation letter.

If you want to remind them of their violation of the FDCPA, do it in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">